Change of benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of benefits

Options
kidsareus
kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hi my brother recently had his 14yr old son live with him my brother was on ESA SDP and PIP high rate . Because of his son move in with him he had to go on universal credit instead . But no his son has gone back home to his mother will my brother be able to go on his old benefits before his son moved in I haven’t got the answers for him , also when he moved over to UC his SDP stopped should he have been getting this ? thank you I hope I can find the answers for him . 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hw did not have to move to UC however moving would have enabled him to claim extra money for the son. He cannot now revert to his old benefits. 

There is no SDP in UC. Claimants who move now do get an extra amount of UC called SDP transitional protection. For a period from 16th January 2019 to 27th January 2021 ESA claimants in receipt of SDP were not allowed to claim UC.

When was the move from ESA to UC? If he moved before January 2019 I think he should also have an SDP transitional amount. If he was switched during the period when claims were not supposed to be allowed he should also have the additional element.

Note that the element is not a fixed amount will, over time, reduce if other elements increase.if therefore someone switched to UC and got them SDP element but later added a child the SDP element would be reduced by the child element.

To advise properly you need to look at the current make up of the UC award and the history of the award.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kidsareus
    kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your reply really appreciated it 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.