ESA ends in 3 weeks - do I need to apply for Universal Credit now? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA ends in 3 weeks - do I need to apply for Universal Credit now?

Options
LeeA380
LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
I get a payment next week, and my final payment in 3 weeks time, which will be it for ESA apparently. I am still in the assessment phase, and they haven't bothered to call me over the 12 months (if they did, I would probably get more money tbh).

Is it time I applied for Universal Credit? I know that can take 5 weeks for a decision it itself.

Also, if it turns out I get more than 15 points on ESA/UC, and I get the premium rate, would this be backdated in arrears from the date I made my claim for ESA (July 2020) because it is not my fault they haven't assessed me prior.
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    You can claim UC at the same time as ESA. If you have no other income you may well have been entitled to a small amount of UC throughout your time on ESA. Unlike New style ESA, UC is means tested so whether or not there is any UC entitlement will depend on your circumstances. If you have a partner that you live with you must both claim. If you have savings over £16,000 you are excluded.

Your first UC payment will be one month and one week after the date on which you claim.

When your assessment eventually takes place, if you are put in the Support Group, the ESA should be reinstated and you will be entitled to arrears. The extra amount is only payable from the 14th week of the ESA claim.

Any ESA received at the same time as UC reduces the amount of UC payable.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • LeeA380
    LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
    Options
    @calcotti I was told that when I make a claim for UC my ESA would stop immediately regardless of if my UC claim was successful or not. I guess that not everyone can claim UC and ESA at the same time?

I think I must make the claim for UC anyway, as it doesnt look like I will be getting any assessment any time soon.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    LeeA380 said:
    @calcotti I was told that when I make a claim for UC my ESA would stop immediately regardless of if my UC claim was successful or not. I guess that not everyone can claim UC and ESA at the same time?
    That is incorrect.

For those claiming the old income based ESA, entitlement to ESA would end two weeks after claiming UC.

if you are, as I infer, claiming new style ESA. It is a contribution based benefit and continues alongside UC.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.