I've been awarded LCWRA. They said backdated money might be used to pay off debt- anyone had this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been awarded LCWRA. They said backdated money might be used to pay off debt- anyone had this?

Options
mike2424
mike2424 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I've just received my decision letter saying I've been award lcwra and I should receive a note on my journal about backdated money they owe me it also says any money we owe you might be taken to pay off a debt I owe them and was wondering if anyone else had the money not paid to them to pay of a debt 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Yes this is usually the case if there are any outstanding debts they will take it from any back pay 

Did you know about the debt and agree you owe them money? If so not much you can do 

If the debt is in dispute you may have to challenge the repayment 
  • mike2424
    mike2424 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I never knew about the debt till they contacted me in 2018 over many years I managed to save £8,000 pounds as I was a career at the time and when I looked online it said that careers allowance wasn't taken into account for saving so I thought I'm okay till they contacted me saying not then I found myself owing thousands back and they have been taking money of my universal credit since 2018 now I'm not fit for work they said they owe me 10 weeks of backdated money but I guess them I won't see a penny off it 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry about that at least some of the debt will be cleared but u know that isn't probably what you want 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.