Can you go straight on to LCWRA or do you have to wait? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you go straight on to LCWRA or do you have to wait?

karen1812
karen1812 Community member Posts: 60 Connected
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi can you go straight on to LWCA or do you have to wait? We are still waiting on a pip award which is taking forever ? we have had a paper assessment 2 weeks ago thanks in advance

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You have to report a medical condition and provide fit notes then go through the work capability process 

You don't get it automatically and it isn't anything to do with pip they are separate benefits with different criteria 
  • karen1812
    Thanks janer1967 was just wondering the benifits system is so confusing ? when your not used to being on it thank god brian should only be on it for a year as he retires next June lol
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    When you claimed UC you would have been asked if there were any health issues affecting ability to work. If these were reported, backed up with Fit Notes, that would start the Work Capability prices. If they were not reported then they should be reported now.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • karen1812
    Thank you calcotti it did ask and i submitted a fit note which they excepted 
  • calcotti
    karen1812 said:
    Thank you calcotti it did ask and i submitted a fit note which they excepted 
    In your opening post you referred to a paper assessment. Not clear whether this was for the WCA under UC or your PIP assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karen1812

When you say paper assessment, is that relating to your PIP claim?  Or do you mean a UC50 form which is part of the LCWRA process?  Also, have you been submitting continuous fit notes with no gaps?

Just to let you know - I've tweaked the title of your thread to help our other members spot your question :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • karen1812
    Hi Cher scope it was pip that has done the paper assessment yes we have had no gaps with sick note only just finished sick pay after 26 weeks brians note lasts until September from the doctors and I think he will get another sick note come September as he is still recovering from his bleed on the brain 
  • janer1967
    Hi again  

You need to make sure he is referred for a work capability assessment 

His work coach should do this after 28 days of being covered by a fit note often they need prompting to do so 

You will then get the uc50 form to complete 
  • karen1812
    Janer1967 it hought you had to wait 13 weeks before you had to apply to go on LWCA we have started the claim from 6th June thats when the last note ran out
  • janer1967
    The 13 weeks is the waiting time for payment eg you don't get paid lcwra element for the first 13 weeks 

But your claim starts as soon as you report the health condition and supply a fit note through uc 

When did you first apply for uc did you report the condition  and supply fit note then? 
  • karen1812
    Janer1967  we started the claim on 7th June we have to wait until 16th July till we find out how much money we get which will be paid on the 20th July itsxa long wait I know they expected the sick note, still waiting on pip that was started on the 10th March hopefully we won't have to wait much , longer the assessment lady was really lovely and helpful. 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    karen1812 said:
    Janer1967  we started the claim on 7th June we have to wait until 16th July till we find out how much money we get which will be paid on the 20th July itsxa long wait I know they expected the sick note, still waiting on pip that was started on the 10th March hopefully we won't have to wait much , longer the assessment lady was really lovely and helpful. 
    If you claimed on 7th June your first payment should be on 13th July.

You say they expected the Fit Note. To be clear did you provide details of a Fit Note when you claimed? I infer from an earlier answer that you did.

You should receive the UC50 health questionnaire in early July.
  • janer1967
    OK well providing the fit note and reporting the condition  should trigger the process and as above you should get uc50 form prob not for a while yet 

Then there will be assessment and after that if he is awarded lcwra will get paid extra from 4th assessment period 

However like anything the process takes a long time so don't expect anything soon.

Hope you hear about his pip soon  
  • karen1812
    Sorry it should have said the excepted the fit note 
  • skhan95
    skhan95 Community member Posts: 123 Connected
    Hy sorry for interfering I also made my Uc  claim in april and I have reported my health condition and they ask me to provide sick note and they sent me uc50 within 3 days I have filled it and send them back 4 weeks ago and waiting for my decision  :-)
  • calcotti
    skhan95 said:
    Hy sorry for interfering I also made my Uc  claim in april and I have reported my health condition and they ask me to provide sick note and they sent me uc50 within 3 days I have filled it and send them back 4 weeks ago and waiting for my decision  :-)
    Normally UC50 is issued on Day 29 of the claim. There are some health conditions which will prompt an earlier issue.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.