Hi, I'm suerogkemsley! Looking for a doctor to assess daughter + support her PIP claim. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm suerogkemsley! Looking for a doctor to assess daughter + support her PIP claim.

Options
suerogkemsley
suerogkemsley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My daughter suffers from CP. She has worked and coped all her life. At 50 years of age she is now really struggling. She has been turned down for PIP and we are now going to Tribunal. We need a doctor to carry out an assessment to support her claim. Can anyone suggest someone suitable, we live in Cornwall.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suerogkemsley and a warm welcome to our community.  How are you doing?

I'm sorry to hear your daughter's been unsuccessful with her PIP claim and is now at the tribunal stage.  It might not be necessary to find a doctor to support her, as unless the doctor has detailed insight into how her CP impacts her ability to carry out the PIP activities, it may not prove beneficial to your case.  Rather, evidence from people who know her well such as family members, support workers and carers that can demonstrate how her CP impacts her ability to complete the PIP activities would likely be more helpful. 

One way of providing this evidence is through detailed accounts of the last time your daughter tried an activity with them present i.e. who was there, where they were, what the activity was, what her difficulties were and how they had to assist her to complete the task reliably.  Remembering that unless your daughter can carry out an activity reliably, that is safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in reasonable time then a particular descriptor can't be satisfied.

Have you accessed any support from a welfare representative with the PIP process?  If not, I'd highly recommend you do that.  You can find someone local to you via the Advice Local website, entering your postcode and selecting 'welfare benefits' from the drop down list.  

Just to let you know, I've changed the title of your thread to help others see what it's about and also moved it to our PIP, DLA and AA category.  Good luck and please fire away with any more questions you might have.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @suerogkemsley :) Have you had a chance to look at Cher's comment above? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • suerogkemsley
    suerogkemsley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Yes thank you. I've emailed the response over to her.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.