Granddaughter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Granddaughter

JCC
JCC Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
My Granddaughter will be 19 in a couple of months.   
She was severely bullied at school and her family life has been turbulent to say the least.   Her mother has both mental and physical health problems.
My Granddaughter also has a lot of mental health problems too.  She has worked a couple of times but has major panic attacks so cannot sustain work at present.  She has been given anti psychotic drugs and has been told she has PTSD?  She will  be undergoing counselling and her GP considers her to be a potential suicide risk.

We have no letters as such at present for evidence but I wondered if she would be eligible for any financial help?  Doesn’t need to be much but it would obviously be of help to the household and to her self esteem I suppose.?

Sorry for the long winded message.  Any advice gratefully received.  Thank you very much

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Hello @JCC

Good to see you back on the community, thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear about what your family is going through and the challenges your grandaughter is facing and has faced during her life. Where is she living at the moment? Is she with her mum?

You mentioned her GP, but is she receiving all the support she needs from them to manage her mental health? It's always best to speak with them if anything changes in her condition, but she could always access places such as mind or Samaritans to gain further support when she needs it.

You referred also to her GP considering her to be a suicide risk, that must be hard for you to hear as a grandparent but I hope your grandaughter is in a stable position at the moment. If she does ever feel suicidal, she should contact 999 right away, or the local Crisis team. It's good that she clearly has very suppportive individuals like yourself in her life

Regarding financial help, are you referring to benefits? It's hard to say what she would be entitled to exactly because that can depend on multiple circumstances, it might be a good idea to use a benefits calculator to try and estimate entitlement.

If she wants to speak about things then do let her know that we are always here to talk, we'd be more than happy to see if there's any way in which we could help or signpost her. Our email is community@scope.org.uk
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • JCC
    Hello again and thank you.

My Granddaughter is at home with her Mum but because they are both struggling with mental health problems the situation Is often very difficult .  I worry about my youngest Grandson of 13 too as Covid has had a major impact on his schooling which he loved and his life cannot be easy either.  

To be honest I don’t which way to turn anymore.   My eldest Grandson is already under Mental Health and has been for years.  He has just been given his first proper home at 32 by the local authority and my gratitude for their help is immeasurable.

I am tired now and don’t want to see any of them not because I don’t care or love them but just feel useless at being unable to help them in any useful way.   It is just easier to be asleep. 
    That is just selfish and thoughtless I appreciate that .  Thank you everyone for your replies and support.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Do the benefits calculator on gov website 

She may be entitled to uc and could go through work capability process which if found unfit for work will have no work commitments 

It is possible she may be entitled to pip have a look at the descriptors to see if she would score the required points 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JCC :) This does seem like a very difficult situation for everyone involved. 

I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, so please do take a look at that when you get a moment.

You're certainly not selfless or thoughtless. Dealing with loved ones' mental health difficulties can be extremely challenging and draining, and you shouldn't have to deal with it alone.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • JCC
    Thank you all so very much .  I am most grateful.  Will my Granndaughter need a sick note/fit note before she applies for anything please?
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I my self suffer with mental illnesses and I’m on anti pychotic medication as well as other medication I’m also unable to work . All tho I would love to work I just don’t see it happening for a while . I was recently in hospital . 

I know how hard it is being on anti pychotic meds and being mentally ill it’s so hard I hope your daughter and grand children feel better soon . Are any of them under a mental health community team ? 

I get pip as that’s the only benefit I can claim due to my partners income but there are benefits you’re grand daughter could claim . 

Brightness