Capita Forms with GP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita Forms with GP

sol09
sol09 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi all,

Some progress I guess!!!

So I’ve had a telephone call from my new GP to run through Capita forms he’s received and to basically just ask me a few questions.

Just wondering Is this normal for them to send forms to the GP and part of the process?

Previous claim i had the DS1500 form however, this time it was the dreaded form filling. I would have thought my Oncologist would have been more appropriate who I listed as a first contact on the PIP2 forms...

Also, as they’ve contacted my GP, does anyone know if I will then also have an assessment with Capita or will the GPs response be enough? - you’d certainly think a professionals word would be enough hey

Hopefully i’ll hear something soon as I applied in April so fingers crossed ? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hu there 

They do get in touch with gp in some cases and may also have got in touch with your consultant

You will probably still have assessment as the medical evidence won't detail your daily functionality against the descriptors 
  • sol09
    Hi Janer1967,

He sounded like he was reading through the descriptors as he asked me how I manage to wash/dress and if I cook meals etc. Being a new GP, I’ve not met him, unlike my previous GP who’s been on this medical journey with me from the very beginning so maybe that has played a part. 

It’s just all so stressful isn’t it. I understand what you’ve said and it makes sense. On the other hand,  you’d think that a professionals opinion/assessment would be enough. For me, I’m the type of person that whenever I’m asked how I am, I reply with ‘great, I’m okay’ even when faced with a 12 month prognosis. I hate admitting to my health issues and the ‘real’ impact it has on me so voicing it, it’s really tough. I guess many others are the same... 

Thanks for your help Janer, wishing you a great day 
  • janer1967
    Your welcome 

Only trouble is gp reports just follow what you are saying to them 

They don't see you doing the daily tasks like cooking , washing,  toilet etc so they can't give actual observation 

Yes you would think medical evidence would count but it doesn't have a lot of weight for the reasons above 
  • sol09
    You’re absolutely right there as I got off the phone thinking ‘i didn’t mention this’ and ‘i didn’t mention that’. Thank you ? 

Oh well, I guess now i’m actually hoping for a telephone assessment. That way, at least I will have the time to go through everything as I did when completing the forms.

It’s crazy, I’m stage 4 with no cure but aren’t eligible for the DS1500 as today I don’t have an active tumour and nobody will say I’ve got less than six months, only that i’m classed as terminal. In addition to this, getting to this stage of no tumours, my body has undergone 7 years of chasing tumours, gruelling chemo, immunotherapy, radiotherapy, numerous ops, reconstructions which have all impacted my body in some way, leaving me with a limited capacity of some sort, immune issues, chronic pain from bone necrosis blah blah blah and for some reason, I feel like a fraud applying for PIP... 

Im sorry, I’m ranting now. It’s just some days all I want is my old life back. Back in work doing a job I loved and not reliant on the governments help... Like most of us I guess ?
  • janer1967
    Don't worry about letting it out we all need to do this at times 

You really have been through it and all I can say is its like the grieving process for your prev life and goes through the same process 

I became disabled with no warning when I had my leg amputated and know how hard it is to come to terms with when also fighting with dwp . After working all my life up till then and not claiming a penny 

Fingers crossed for your claim let us know how it goes 

• sol09

“You really have been through it and all I can say is its like the grieving process for your previous life and goes through the same process”

This is so true... I most certainly ’grieve’ for my old life and worry about the uncertainty of this new life. Thank you for your understanding. 

“I became disabled with no warning when I had my leg amputated and know how hard it is to come to terms with when also fighting with dwp . After working all my life up till then and not claiming a penny”

I cannot imagine how hard this must have been for you and still is I guess. I understand that there are some people who claim benefits who don’t really need them however, in your case, the need to ‘fight’ is criminal and just down right barbaric. Surely, anyone with a fraction of sense and empathy should understand your life situation and reason for claim. I think that the whole system is set up against the most vulnerable, not for them and certainly not to ‘help’ them. 

“Fingers crossed for your claim let us know how it goes”

Thank you once again. I’ll certainly let you know how it goes and all the very best. You’ve been more than helpful ?

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    sol09 said:
    .. Is this normal for them to send forms to the GP and part of the process? ..I would have thought my Oncologist would have been more appropriate ..? 
    I think GPs are often easier to get hold of.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    sol09 said:
    ... nobody will say I’ve got less than six months, only that i’m classed as terminal. ..
    Guidance for clinicians on completing a DS1500 was changed a few years ago. It used to be atet a DS1500 should only be signed if death was expected within six months. Guidance now says a DS1500 can be completed if the person completing it would not be surprised if someone died within six months. That clearly covers a much larger group of people. i am not sure atet all clinicians have taken on board the revised guidance. See
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-factual-medical-reports-guidance-for-healthcare-professionals/dwp-medical-factual-reports-a-guide-to-completion
    The purpose of the DS1500 is to tell DWP about a patient who meets the special rules criteria. It is not used to make a claim for benefit.
    You should complete the form promptly if you believe that your patient meets the special rules criteria, namely:
    • they have a progressive disease and, as a consequence of that disease
    • you would not be surprised if your patient were to die within 6 months
    The special rules criteria do not just apply to patients with cancer.
    As an example, they may also apply to severe, life limiting cardiorespiratory and neurological conditions (this is not an exhaustive list).

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sol09
    Thank you calcotti, really appreciated! I think i’ll speak to my Oncologist as he’s certain there’s no cure, certain I’m stage 4 (i’ve had multiple mets last being on my bowel) and so, maybe I meet this criteria... Who knows but thank you ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.