Disability ellament and carers ellament — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability ellament and carers ellament

erangeyj
erangeyj Community member Posts: 23 Listener
I've been receiving dla and carers allowance for my son dla for just over 2 years and carers allowance for just over a year I didn't no anything about the ellaments will they both be backdated to when he was awarded both of them

Comments

• erangeyj
    Can anyone give me a bit of understanding please 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you mean that you have claimed UC but have not told UC about the DLA or CA? If so, when did you claim UC? Why did you not tell them when you claimed? Have you told them now?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • erangeyj
    I've been claiming uc for a few years now but am a single farther with 2 kids my son was diagnosed with ASD 2 years ago then I started claiming cares allowance but I did not no ur get informed about the ellaments until  I got told about the 4 weeks ago by my housing officer so I put a note on my journal now on my next uc payment the 2 ellaments are on there and I have put a request in for them to be backdated 
  • erangeyj
    Yes I've told them now and the 2 ellaments are on my next uc payment but just needed to no if they will dackdate them to when his DLA was awarded and since I've been receiving CA for him
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    They may refuse to backdate because you did not report the change at the time. However if they do refuse them to ask them to look again at the decision. They have the power to make an any time revision of the earlier award on the grounds that new information is available.

Have you actually asked them to backdate it?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • erangeyj
    Yes its with  a decision maker
  • erangeyj
    Sorry what do you mean about new information is available 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    erangeyj said:
    Sorry what do you mean about new information is available 
    The information that you receive DLA and CA and the dates from which you received them.
    erangeyj said:
    Yes its with  a decision maker
    So fingers crossed that the DM makes a sensible decision but if not then challenge it.
  • erangeyj
    I will do thanks for the advice 
  • erangeyj
  • erangeyj
  • erangeyj
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @erangeyj :) You've posted a few blank comments here. Are you trying to write a comment? If you're having trouble and not able to reply here to explain, you can email us on community@scope.org.uk.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • erangeyj
    Yes I tried to post the letter UC have sent me but I don't think am allowed to they sent me a letter saying due to special circumstances they can adjust the UC to when the change was made I don't no if that's from when I started to receive CA ur if its from when I changed address an I had to change the rent who livs with me and that I care for my son with was only 2 months ago
  • erangeyj
    I've put a note on my UC account telling them that I don't understand when they have adjusted it to also it doesn't mention nothing about if the DLA ellament will ur will not be backdated to
  • erangeyj
  • calcotti
    erangeyj said:
    Yes I tried to post the letter UC have sent me but I don't think am allowed to they sent me a letter saying due to special circumstances they can adjust the UC to when the change was made I don't no if that's from when I started to receive CA ur if its from when I changed address an I had to change the rent who livs with me and that I care for my son with was only 2 months ago
    This clearly indicates that they are backdating something to the date the change occurred rather to the date you reported it. Without more information regarding the contents of the letter it's impossible to say whether this refers to both CA and DLA or only one of them. Even with more information it may still be impossible too say f the letter is not clear.  think you'll have to wait for response to the message you have posted in journal and/or keep an eye out to see if you get an arrears payment. 
  • erangeyj
    Ok thanks for the information 
  • erangeyj
    Sorry just one more inquire dose the DLA ellament get backdated from when DLA is awarded ur dose it go from when I started receiving CA because the DWP have mentioned 14 05 2020 thats when I started receiving CA but my I've been receiving DLA for 26 months I don't understand  this thanks
  • erangeyj
    Or will both of them go from when I started to receive CA instead of from when the DLA was awarded 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.