Anyone sensitive to noise? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone sensitive to noise?

Options
Mootoo
Mootoo Community member Posts: 11 Listener
I got a huge problem right now with a bike passing really close by to my bedroom back and forth which local government is enabling, and I think I'm getting some ptsd-like symptoms, except for 'post', it's more of a revolving door at this point, but like every time I hear the faintest similar noise in a movie e.g. I pause to see if it's external, and at my most extreme rarely I mistake my cats' purring for it too for an instant, due to the bass quality... I feel like I'm in Dante's Inferno, honestly, with the local government here practically forcing me to be subject to mental torture, even a death threat, which everyone simply brushes away... always hyperalert when it's happening and getting worse outside of it too... I try to keep this almost delusional hope alive of relocating, but sometimes the bleak reality seems to indicate that all hopeless and there is only one end to it (I just simply can't live like this forever... just can't...)

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mootoo :) Welcome to the community. Thanks for joining, and for sharing with us the difficulty you're currently facing. I'm sorry that the noise is causing you so much distress, and hope that other members may have some other ideas on how to manage this for the time being.

Do you own any noise-cancelling headphones? Is there anywhere else you can sit during the day, other than your bedroom? I realise that this may not be possible.

I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, so please do keep an eye out for that and give it a read when you get a moment. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Mootoo.

I have similar problems with particular noises.  I use noise cancelling headphones at home and silicone earplugs when out and about.  I've had a lot of trial and error looking for the right earplugs for me and these (link below) get 8/10.  They are not the cheapest on the market, but I have wasted far more money trting to find a suitable product.  I am stll looking for 10/10 - any suggestions welcome xx.

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/calmer?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBhA8EiwAFxomA5wZ4DWk4E28BNiRVte8eEgSUZzqyke5eTbjCIoXgH6p-NychNXQYhoCMpMQAvD_BwE
  • Mootoo
    Options
    Nothing blocks the engine of a bike, it's one of the worst noises ever, only jackhammers are worse (and, sure, the council once subjected me to it for months... but at least there wasn't a pandemic and I simply moved back with family for a bit). Fact this is happening while outbreaks keep happening means that even if I happen to find another place it would be really risky to move, or at least wait until outbreaks end. Absolute nightmare...

And... no, it's audible in every room, and I don't exactly have a huge place to go far away from it... this is the council intentionally torturing, ever since I was diagnosed they immediately put me in one of the busiest streets in town... some real sadists out there...
  • Mawii
    Mawii Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hello!

It is very common for ppl with autism to be sound/taste/touch/consistency and light sensitive!

I have problems with al of them and especially light (i have blackout curtains al the time in my home). I can focus in busy environments but some smells and sound make me very uncomfortable and i have a lot of food restriction that i challenge with help of my professional medical treater. Its important that you challenge yourself to overcome the feelings so you can live a more fun and non-restricted life!

Feel free to contact me if you want further help :)

Best regards /mawii
  • Mootoo
    Options
    Overcoming this would be like jumping over a skyscraper... and yeah, I have a large piece of wood to block out light too, but mostly because the council was so sadistic these huge, dumb windows didn't even have curtains... also, they forced me to sleep on a bed with nails literally sprouting all over... and they want to charge me for all this! The unbelievable sadism of some people...

Brightness