Esa contribution employment allowance award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa contribution employment allowance award

Options
emalou33
emalou33 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I have recently received a letter confirming that I can get the weekly allowance of £74.70. It says from the 14th May 2021 on the first part of the letter. Then goes on to Say that the amounts will apply from the 20th May 2021.  I received a random payment on the 17th of June from dwp referenced (dwp essa credit with my national insurance number  for £64.03 ) 

When will my next payment be? And why was this payment less than the letter stated ? 
When will I get money from?  Also since this application I am now isolating due to contracting covid. So am off work again.  Is there anything I need to do about this? 

Thanks ema 

Comments

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @emalou33 and welcome to the Forum.

Given the late hour, and in the absence of our expert posters, I'm going to suggest the £64.03 may be payment for 6 days allowance e.g. 14-20May = 6 days.   

I'm sure others will be along at a *normal* hour and be able to answer your other queries regarding when you should expect payment, which I know are paid fortnightly, and how best to deal with advising DWP regarding covid-isolation.   

• emalou33
    Options
    Hi 
    Thanks,   this is the only payment received 
  • emalou33
    Options
    My actual sickness was from the 26th April to the 3rd of May  
    I'm confused 
  • Girl_No1
    Options
    I'm confused too!  However, I've seen people regularly say ESA letters are extremely confusing!

Did you submit a Fit Note?  If you did, when did/does it expire?

• emalou33
    Options
    My fit note was  26th April to 3rd of May  

I'm back in work. I told this to the lady on the phone before my acceptance letter came through  

• emalou33
    Options
    Yes the letters and dates are really confusing and out of sync 
  • Girl_No1
    Options
    Absolutely - ESA are renowned for out-of-synch dates!

I'm not at all sure what is going on - have you had reminders to submit further Fit Notes?  Have you received and completed any forms e.g. ESA50?  Is that why you are expecting further payments?  

This is how I understand ESA works - to continue to receive ESA when you've applied but not yet been assessed, you need to provide Fit Notes confirming your condition is ongoing. 

• emalou33
    Options
    My condition isn't ongoing now,  I am back to work . It was for Loss of earnings I applied  but now I'm off again with covid 
  • Girl_No1
    Options
    Okay.  Got you now.  I thought you were expecting ongoing weekly payments because of the letter!  :smile:

You'll need to reapply for this new period of illness absence.  Not sure what the rules are around Fit Notes for covid-isolation are, but I do recall seeing something that on the DWP site that asked that specific question so it should keep you right!  
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    emalou33 said:
    I received a random payment on the 17th of June from dwp referenced (dwp essa credit with my national insurance number  for £64.03 ) 
    As suggested by Girl_No1 he payment appears to be for 6 days.
    emalou33 said:
    When will my next payment be? 
    emalou33 said:
    My fit note was  26th April to 3rd of May  
    When you told them you were back at work your ESA claim ended. There will therefore be no further payments.

I don't know how ESA have arrived at six days to pay you. Assuming 26th April and 3rd May are dates you were off work then you were off for 8 days. If you were off for COVID reasons you would be entitled to 8 days of benefit. If the reasons were non COVID related then you would be entitled to 1 day of benefit because the first 7 days are not normally paid.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • emalou33
    Options
    My letter says I am entitled to this weekly from the 20th May 
    I'm so confused 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.