ESA Re-assessment question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Re-assessment question

Options
nsaeon
nsaeon Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi,

I had an ESA re-assessment in 2019 which, with the help of wonderful people on this forum, was resolved successfully. The claim was for 2 years, which will be this September. I know that the DWP can do a re-assessment any time 3 months after an assessment, but I was wondering if re-assessments are automatically triggered once you've been on it for 2 years, or however long they recommend?

In other words, can I definitely expect to get another form in the post later this year, or is it just random?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ATM you may well expect to wait longer due to the large number of new claims for all sorts of benefits.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The time period is simply a recommendation for review made at the time of your last assessment, Even in normal times this doesn’t mean a reassessment will definitely take place at that time. At the moment with long delays for assessments in connection with new claims I would think it likely that your reassessment will be delayed. However the reality is that it can take place at any time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • nsaeon
    nsaeon Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    ATM you may well expect to wait longer due to the large number of new claims for all sorts of benefits.
    I guessed this might be the case, but wasn't sure if they had cleared most of the backlog by now.

calcotti said:
    The time period is simply a recommendation for review made at the time of your last assessment, Even in normal times this doesn’t mean a reassessment will definitely take place at that time. At the moment with long delays for assessments in connection with new claims I would think it likely that your reassessment will be delayed. However the reality is that it can take place at any time.
    Thank you very much. I know it can be any time, but thought the recommendation might act as a sort of trigger in their system if a re-assessment hasn't already happened to do one. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.