possible relocation while on ESA support group — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

possible relocation while on ESA support group

Options
Bevharty51
Bevharty51 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi im new here :)
im currently on ESA supported following cancer surgery/treatment years ago, have lymphoedema in left arm which plays up still and other symptoms which have slowed me down work wise. i do a few hours permitted work each week that i can manage. I may have to move out of town when my ex finally demands money that is owed from joint mortgage . im quite anxious about the whole thing and if i end up having to give up permitted work here ( may have to relocate 2 hour journey away)  and buy property (downsize ) with cash from sale would i still be entitled to ESA supported or any benefit once moved ? i defo wont have any way near  £16,000 left  to save after all this . Id hope to get some work once moved but worry about if i cant and how long the benefit would be there .  I know physically i struggle lots more compared to before cancer plus there is a high possibility of reoccurance with the cancer i had . My surgeon told me to focus on the quality not the quantity of life now ....good advice :) sorry rambling , if you read this far then thank you and all advice much appreciated 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Bevharty51 good afternoon and a warm welcome to scope, is your ESA cont. based, income based or a mixture of the two.
    You are correct to assume that you loose all means tested benefits if you have savings over 16k but they will also be reduced if you have between 6k and 16k
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you receive money from the sale of your former home it will not affect your benefit entitlement provided you intend to use it for the purchase of a new home. In these circumstances it can be disregarded for six months (and longer if a Decision Maker considers it reasonable so to do). You would need to inform ESA and tell them that you intend to buy a new home. You may need to provide evidence of your house search and keep them informed about progress in order to maintain the disregard.

Is any of you ESA contribution based? This would not be affected by capital anyway.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bevharty51
    Bevharty51 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    thank you both for your replies.
    Im pretty sure im contribution based ESA supported .
    i would defo be doing the sale and move within 6 months.
    Just would feel strange as if i do have to move im leaving a job (small amount  permitted hours) but id hope to find a few hours if can manage there too and plan to build hours up as get stronger 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.