Thoughts on the appointment of Sajid Javid MP as new Secretary of State for Health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thoughts on the appointment of Sajid Javid MP as new Secretary of State for Health

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge

You'd have been hard pushed to miss the media furore surrounding Matt Hancock's departure as Secretary of State for Health over the weekend.  And as Sajid Javid, MP for Bromsgrove, assumes his post we're asking: how do you think Javid's appointment will impact disabled people?

The Houses of Parliament at night

Our members have been busy discussing the resignation of Matt Hancock this weekend.  Whilst, hot on the heels of him closing the door on number ten, we saw Sajid Javid appointed as new Secretary of State for Health.  

The BBC news is today reporting that Javid is keen to return to normal 'as soon as possible'.  With an issued statement declaring:
I was honoured to take up this position. I also know that it comes with huge responsibility, and I will do everything I can to make sure that I deliver for the people of this great country.

We are still in a pandemic and I want to see that come to an end as soon as possible, and that will be my most immediate priority to see that we can return to normal as soon and as quickly as possible
And, you can look at an overview of Javid's voting record in parliament at this TheyWorkForYou webpage.

Over to you

• What are your thoughts on the direction of British healthcare under Javid's remit? 
  • How do you feel his appointment will impact disabled groups?
Bearing in mind our House rules and a need to keep it civil and respectful where opinions differ, let us know :) 
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    His main  concern  is dealing with the pandemic  disabled people will always have to fight for what they need we will never be a priority 

Example boris Johnson said he would do more for people with dementia /alzimers  nothing came of that as of yet 

Again I think its going to be we will have to wait and see 
  • cazacaz
    cazacaz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I am worried about the no return unlocking in July. Not all disabled people will learn to live with the virus as, many more will die from it despite having had a double vaccine. What protection do disabled people have when all restrictions go in terms of work rights and staying safe? How long do the vaccines protect you for if it actually protects you? The high number of covid cases will just cause more mutations which may evade the vaccines. I am not happy he has been appointed as health secretary. He seems to be like Boris and letting the bodies pile high.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As far as Javid goes and being health and social care secetary goes only time will tell, anything he's saying today was already planned weeks ago.
    What does surprise me is that he resigned as chancellor and No.10 was insisting he used their spin doctors and not his own, nothing has changed in that respect and yet here he is taking a top job.

I don't think anybody should get too exited as the task quite frankly is probably beyond anybody, with a waiting list of 5 million, people waiting for longer than they should for cancer treatment etc etc etc.
    The NHS is broken (and not just because of covid), odd isn't it that a tory govt. can find billions when it wants to, can take the national debt to £2.2 trillion, and current account debt to 99.8% of GDP all figures not seen since the early 1960's or the last war, and yet they have starved the NHS of cash for 11 years now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In some ways the Welsh government  has dealt better with the pandemic than the Englidh government  we do have rising cases here but if it gets any worse the Welsh government  probably will go back on full lockdown 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    The problems of the N.H.S would not be improved if they had double the money, because it is squandered  It is like trying to 'cure child poverty' by giving junkie gambling parents a thousand pounds a day.
    Social care has been cut 30% in recent years. In that time, there are double the number of hospital doctors and not a single extra G.P.  Ten years after Dilnot, nothing for social care.

Brightness