Finally had my PiP assessment this morning! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally had my PiP assessment this morning!

rubin16
rubin16 Community member Posts: 346 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,

I finally had my telephone assessment this morning after applying in November 2020. The call lasted just under an hour and went into deph about what I do, how I do them and how I mange certain things. The assessor was quite nice and knowledgeable and had clearly read up about me beforehand as she was mainly clarifying what she has read up and confirming them and asking more details. After she was done she said she will type up the report and send to DWP and a decision is made normally within 6 weeks.

How likely it is to wait 6 weeks for a decision, is it longer normally or sooner?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @rubinheath16, I'm glad things seemed to go well. 

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome, I wouldn't ' like to advise on the amount of time it might be because it appears to be quite unpredictable at the moment, but hopefully it won't bee long for you.

Remember, after a week you can ring up to request a copy of the assessors report.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi glad that after the long wait you have had your assessment 

They normally say around 8 to 10 weeks for a decision but there are no fixed timescales and currently there seems to be long delays but some have been lucky with quick decisions 

Let us know the outcome 
  • hughiemachrins
    hughiemachrins Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
    I have just had mine and it seemed to go OK. The guy said it's not his decision but he thinks I should get it and if I was turned down, I should definitely appeal. The waiting begins!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for telling us about your assessment @rubinheath16 - the assessor sounds good; I think it gives you that bit of confidence when it's apparent they've read your evidence.
    Pleased your assessment also went well @hughiemachrins . Here's hoping you both get the correct outcome. :)
  • charlotte84
    charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    @Username_removed is that really what they say “recommended nil award” if that’s what they think. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello to all those who have had their PIP assessment. Now you can request a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. By reading the report you can if required start to prepare evidence and new information to support your original claim for PIP. Not requesting your report and then waiting for the official notification letter only leaves a month to lodge your MR if required but having your report you’ll have several months to prepare your MR and time to contact Health professionals if needed to get you medical reports ect.
  • hughiemachrins
    How soon can I ask for a copy? Should I wait a week or so? 
  • hughiemachrins
    I have just had mine and it seemed to go OK. The guy said it's not his decision but he thinks I should get it and if I was turned down, I should definitely appeal. The waiting begins!
    I really hate HCPs who do this. They are there to gather information; weigh it and make a recommendation. Most often what they tell you doesn't even reflect their recommendation i.e. I've lost count of the number of HCPs who give it the old "if it were up to me" but who have actually written a report which says "recommend nil award". In saying anything at all they have exceeded both their power and their knowledge. It is worth a complaint in itself before a decision is made. 

Any refusal cannot be appealed. You must first do a mandatory reconsideration. 
    Turns out you were right @Username_removed! Got my report today and despite the assessor telling my I should get it and to ask for an MR if I didn't, he has given me 6 points for DL and 0 for mobility!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.