How long do you have to wait for the DWP to make a decision after they've received the assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long do you have to wait for the DWP to make a decision after they've received the assessment?

cwatson0000
cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
So today I received a text from the DfC to say they have received my PIP assessment and they will write to me when they have made a decision. How long have other people had to wait for the DWP or DfC to make a decision on a claim after they have received the assessment?

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi ?
     I waited a week but it was not good news? To be fair its different for everyone from what I've seen I mean some people are waiting 3 or 4 months and some a couple of weeks I guess it depends on who is making your decision and how busy they are? Good luck with it all! Hope you get the right decision asap! ??
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As numerous threads on this site indicate timescales vary. DWP day can be about 8 weeks, some get it sooner, others wait longer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

As above there are no fixed timescales they suggest 8 to 10 weeks 

Just a waiting game I'm afraid 
  • cwatson0000
    Thanks everyone :) 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    You can now if you chose request a copy of the assessment report.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cwatson0000
    What do you mean? If I ask for a copy they will make a decision quicker?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    What do you mean? If I ask for a copy they will make a decision quicker?
    No, it just means you will get a copy of the report the HCP has written. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the above comments have been helpful @cwatson0000, and that the meaning of the assessment report is clearer for you now. 

Best of luck with the outcome.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sammiecat75
    Sammiecat75 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    They say 8.weeks but they said.to.me its a quick turn around and i will get a decison before the 5th july ..my whole proces taken since january .dont want to make it as if thats good but they tell u 8 weeks for a time scale but will be theough sooner.i also.requested my report and is being sent out to me..i just would.like to find out if they got all the information i given them properly amd acurately xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    We have read some members taking upto 10 months from start of the application to a decision. Eight weeks is just a guide after the assessment for the DWP DM to decide.
    When you get a copy of the HCP report that is not a decision, although it has to be said that the DWP DM usually but not always go with the report, and there is nothing you can do until you get the official decision.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    By having a copy of your assessment report you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter before you can request an Mandatory reconsideration. Reading the report allows you to get evidence and information to help and support you should you need to request an MR.
  • MrsSam
    MrsSam Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    16 days from the text to tell me they had the report until I had a payment this morning.  I did request a copy of the report which came quickly, and it would appear the award is in line with the assessors recommendations although obviously I wont be able to confirm that until the award notice arrives.  I hope things don't take too long for you.
  • debster
    debster Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi can you tell me how  long your claim took from beginning to end I had a txt on 28th june to say they’d received my report from the hp 
  • cwatson0000
    Hi there… I put in my claim beginning of March and they haven’t made a decision yet.
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Unfortunately @debsterIt's different for everyone because the person making decision about your claim could have a bigger backlog? Or may not work same hours etc? So It depends who is working on your case and obviously that is it going to vary in many ways? So I learned early on that finding out how long other people waited didn't help me at all as it had no order? :disappointed: 
    Pretty much had to tell myself I'd be waiting the 8 or 10 weeks they told me then if it came any sooner then it's a bonus and if it happened to take longer I'd contact them to chase it up? It's a nightmare for people like me that obsess over this kind of thing repeatedly no matter what I get advised! But I literally had to stop myself as best I could because it was getting in the way of me living and that's already hard enough? Hope you get answers ASAP ???
  • debster
    Thanks you  the waiting is a nightmare ?
  • MrsSam
    MrsSam Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    @debster I have another post where I gave the various dates for my application and every case is different but my claim time is as follows -

Claim originally made on January 28th
    'how your disability effects you form' received and processed by PIP on March 15th
    Telephone assessment June 10th
    Report received by PIP June 14th
    Report requested from PIP to be sent to me June 21st (ish)
    Report arrived in post June 25th
    'We have all the information we need to make a decision' letter dates June 21st, received 29th June
    PIP payment in the bank 30th June

I have since received my award notice which is in line with the assessors report, 12 points for care (which I could have disputed in some but it wouldnt make any difference) and 10 points for mobility (I could argue for some points for my anxiety but I am happy with what I have).
  • debster
    Thank  you MrsSam that explains it perfectly ?
  • kiki2020
    kiki2020 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    edited July 2021
    Hi guys 
    I had my pip assesment on 9th July and am still awaiting decision which as I can see for some some takes a while  I feel sick and anxious every day as I haven't got the mental energy to battle it if its rejected in any way . Capita carried out the assesment but as of last Friday Dwp stated they haven't recieved report and I waited 1 hour 57 mins approx for them to answer phone.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.