I claim contribution based ESA. Would me starting to volunteer trigger a change to UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I claim contribution based ESA. Would me starting to volunteer trigger a change to UC?

patnolan123
patnolan123 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hello I am claiming contribution based ESA and have done for a number of years, i’m in the support group. I struggle with my mental health, a volunteer position in my community council has become available, my daughter wants me to try it to help my mental health, but will it trigger a change in my circumstances and will i be forced on Universal Credit, any advice would help thanks. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @patnolan123

Welcome to the community, how are you today? 

While claiming contribution based ESA you are entitled to do permitted work, which you can find out more information about here, and it shouldn't trigger any change unless the work you do contradicts the reasons for which you're claiming contribution based ESA.

Furthermore, contribution based ESA is separate to Universal Credit and you can claim both alongside each other. Your volunteer work shouldn't have any impact on your existing ESA claim.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • patnolan123
    Thank you so much for your help much appreciated. 
  • patnolan123
    I’m worried also if DWP would down grade my ESA to work related because i’m willing to try volunteering.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m worried also if DWP would down grade my ESA to work related because i’m willing to try volunteering.
    The point of permitted work is to allow you to try work or volunteering without jeopardising the ESA claim. It is only a problem if the nature of the work/volunteering contradicts the reasons you have been getting ESA so volunteering to stack shelves in a food bank is clearly going to raise questions if your health issues relate to having a bad back.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • patnolan123
    Thank you so much for your help, When i phoned them up enquiring about volunteer work that would only be two hours the most a month, they have sent me the PW1 04/ 20 for permitted work, the form has no questions about volunteering on it, I don’t think i’ll bother it’s far to stressful. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Although the form refers to work, as detailed on the front of the form, ‘work’ includes volunteering. Just fill in the details of what you doing. When it asks about pay just write volunteer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.