Do you have any thoughts on e-scooters? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have any thoughts on e-scooters?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
Do you have any thoughts or experiences relating to e-scooters? 

We've been asked to ask you about what your thoughts on e-scooters are. These are motorised stand-up scooters that have become increasingly popular as a mode of transport.

We're particularly interested to know whether you've had any negative experiences of e-scooters. Do you find it hard to hear them approaching? Do they tend to block the pavement when you're trying to get around? Let us know!
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I often have problems standing up on my own two feet without trying to balance on a scooter.
    But they do seem to be becoming more popular.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• NikPlus
    NikPlus Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2021
    Options
    PLEVs (Personal Light Electric Vehicles) such as e-scooters, electric unicycles, electric skateboards and onewheels seem to be becoming more popular alternatives to traditional mobility scooters. They're more portable (lighter / smaller) and cheaper.

I have a permanent hole in my abdomen and pelvic scar tissue, resulting from several cancer treatment operations back in 2017. I found a new source of freedom, when I purchased my first electric unicycle which is doing a wonderful job in keeping my core muscles in check and improving mental health. My electric unicycle also offers a vertical riding position like most PLEVs.

I have since made many new friends also with disabilities, who rely on their PLEVs for increased mobility and improved mental health. PLEVs are helping people with general walking difficulties (including pensioners) and people with conditions such as, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, congenital diplegia, autism and single / double leg amputees.

A few companies also sell e-scooter adapters, enabling manual wheelchairs to clip onto an e-scooter, making them temporary powered wheel chairs.

Sadly UKGov continue to make our privately owned PLEVs illegal at time of writing, which is hampering our freedoms (can only use our devices on private land, with land owners permission).

"The Royal Parks" have also banned use of e-scooters or PLEVs in their parks, further restricting freedoms of disabled people using PLEVs.

The DVLA continue to not recognise PLEVs as potential disability scooters, despite such devices being legal in many countries for several years now.

There have been a number of incidents where Police have confiscated PLEVs from people with disabilities, who have chosen to put their own health first, leaving the person on their own to make their own arrangements to return home.

Brightness