Finally obtained a PS5 Console. (I just had to share) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally obtained a PS5 Console. (I just had to share)

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge
After quite some time, 5months of searching I have finally secured a PS5 console.
A guy took my number from the shop I use for gaming, he said he would call me when they came in so I can pre-order. That was April. I thought he had lost my number, or had forgotten me, Then Bam, he called me yesterday and for £10 deposit. I have one secured and collect it this Friday.  ? 
Only problem is I'm going away for two weeks on Sunday. So, I will have to wait to use it. ?

I hope all gamers out there searching for one has the same type of luck I've had. 

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news it does annoy me when they release these things and there isn't the stock to fill demand and end up people ripping others off 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing @Dragonslayer, but such bad timing with you going away this weekend :D 

Did you get any games with it, or just the console?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Nice one! :smiley:

I managed to secure myself an Xbox Series X a few weeks ago.  Stopped looking for a while after Xmas and was surprised there was still no stock anywhere when I looked again in June!  There are just small amounts of stock coming in randomly so it's just about being in the right place at the right time.  The stockinformer website is useful for that.

I must admit, I'm not sure what the improvements are meant to be over the Xbox One.  It does have more processing speed on paper, and potentially better graphics...but I think it's being limited by my TV and internet connection as I can't see any difference.  (Though with my vertigo issues, that's not a bad thing!!)  Can't say I'm a fan of the console's design either.  I'm having to lay it down so the Xbox logo is 90 degrees off, and the touch button has been replaced by a physical button.  Plus the only ventilation is now at one fairly thin end - I'm not convinced it'll be able to keep itself cool in any future heatwaves.  Fan noise is considerably reduced over the previous model though, which is a bonus for streaming shows over iPlayer and Amazon as I don't have a Smart TV.  I also like the matt finish of the console which doesn't show specs of dust and minor scratches like the gloss of the old model.  The controller is slightly redesigned too, the small rear buttons feel like a bit of a stretch now but can just be 'caught' on the lower edge without over-reaching.  Given the constant increase in smartphone size as well, I'm going to have to grow my hands some more at this rate!  A textured surface has been added to the rear buttons on the controller, as well as the hand grips at the sides, which is useful for sweaty days!  Overall, the console is certainly no worse than the old one, and if you have loads of games to store and a 4K TV to make use of it, it's probably a worthy upgrade, but for me I'm not sure it was worth the cost...  Hopefully I'll be proved wrong about potential overheating and it'll prove to be reliable and futureproof for years to come.  :)
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Flipping heck I'm still enjoying a super Nintendo ? I tried to play tomb raider years ago on a PlayStation 1 I think that's what it's called? And it gave me brain ache so I went straight back to bomberman and pang!! Oh and I also tried to play sonic on a dreamcast and same thing happened with the added urge to launch the thing out of nearest window ??‍♀️
    I bet a ps5 is a million miles away from that!! I hope you have many weeks of gaming fun when you're back home! ??
  • Ross_Alumni
    A lot of throw backs in your message there @Emilyb81, some classic consoles and games :) 

It is quite an incremental upgrade @OverlyAnxious, same goes for the PS5 in certain areas such as graphics quality and processing speed, although I have noticed dramatically quicker loading times in menus.

And yes, a quieter fan is always lovely, it no longer sounds like a plane is landing in my living room.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Well done for getting one since last year I have been trying to get one for my partner . I can’t believe how hard they are to get hold of . 

I refuse to get one off eBay from these people selling them at silly prices . I check all the shops every day and still can’t get one . 
  • MrsSam
    MrsSam Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Well done!! Amazing!! I'd almost given up hope of getting one this side of Christmas, but I might keep trying now.  Managed to get hold of Xbox X for the teenagers for Christmas because I pre ordered, but I'm a playstation girl and I forgot about myself!  Have fun! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Good to see you're in the PlayStation camp @MrsSam, good call :) 

I'm sure you and @cupcake88 will be able to get one before Christmas, I imagine that as the year progresses they will become widely available.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done everyone on getting your consoles :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    cupcake88 said:
    Well done for getting one since last year I have been trying to get one for my partner . I can’t believe how hard they are to get hold of . 

I refuse to get one off eBay from these people selling them at silly prices . I check all the shops every day and still can’t get one . 
    Are you signed up anywhere for email alerts?  This site shows when each shop last had stock and a short history so you can see where is most likely to get stock, and make an educated guess on days and times.  Plus they send you immediate emails if you sign up for it.

PlayStation 5 Console (PS5) Stock Checker and Locator (stockinformer.co.uk)
  • Dragonslayer
    @MrsSam @cupcake88 @Ross_Scope @OverlyAnxious
    I signed up for quite a few stock checkers with no result and tried daily looking at every shop online. Ther is no way I would but from eBay, the scammers are going too far. I saw one for sale. It was out of the box and I clearly saw it was connected, so it was used, But advertised as new. The price he wanted was £1250 for it.
    I think to beat the scammers sellers have tried selling at times like the early hours, or selling bundles. Now they are trying to sell in store with pre-orders. I was lucky to ask if I could get help getting one and was put on the list by this guy the last time I was in the shop. They have now all the stock sold without advertising the fact they had any. I'm pleased as well it is the shop I have used for years. The name of the shop is Game. 
    I am looking forward to getting back now and have many games to play that are both PS4 and PS5 and will get some other games later. When the game makers catch up.
    This will be my 5th PlayStation. I have had them all from 1 to now 5 and others machines before that. This one is the fastest loading and the graphics are supposed to be amazing.

Thanks to all for sharing my good fortune. For those still looking. I wish you the best luck in the world.

• Ross_Alumni
    The graphics are indeed great @Dragonslayer, and I'm sure you'll enjoy playing all your games on the new console. What do you think of the white colour scheme they've gone for?

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    I'm not too sure what to think about actually. It will clash with everything I have on my desk, but then again, I will get used to it and the upgrade to faster loading and the games that will come through will compensate. I could buy a new skin for it, but I think I'll leave it. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Fair enough @Dragonslayer, I wasn't overly keen on the white at first but I've warmed to it over the past few months.

• Dragonslayer
    Picked it up today. My wife had to carry it for I was using my walker. I couldn't believe how heavy it was, but we didn't have to go far. Now it is put away, unopened for two weeks. ?But at least it is something to look forward too. ?
    I will leave it white; it looks fairly cool. First game also bought. The Village, it looks great, or will do when I get to play it.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I managed to get a series X from amazon last week, really pleased with it so far, just looking forward to more and more games coming out for it and developers unlocking its full potential
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    It’s so hard to get one I really want to get one for my partner I check every day and still get no where . 
  • Ross_Alumni
    They really are heavy aren't they @Dragonslayer? I imagine it won't be long until they bring out a slim varient.

I hope you enjoy The Village

• OverlyAnxious
    Does the PS5 have an external power transformer?

The XB1 had a huge one but the XSX doesn't have one at all.  I guess it's been incorporated into the unit itself as that is also surprisingly heavy!  I know disc drives aren't light, and they have a 1TB hard drive, but can't think of anything else weighty that could be in there!
  • Ross_Alumni
    I don't know what an external power transformer is @OverlyAnxious :) 

Brightness