Just had my PIP phone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just had my PIP phone assessment

Karawen
Karawen Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The lady on the phone was lovely, Capita did the assessment.

I've been a bit of a lurker on here, reading posts meticulously as when I put my application in, I had a lot going on and it was probably a lot of waffle (didn't even keep a copy, which is very unlike me).  I hadn't discovered this site when I applied either.  So I sent in some supplementary info in having read that it's fine to do so.

Anyway, read through my information and made more notes about more examples of how I'm affected.  Totally forgot to ask for the type of award I want though and was also going to ask for it to be recorded but forgot about that too! (Surprised it's not standard process) ?. 

I got asked about: my house, medication, driving, hobbies, work, social interaction, shopping and then things from my application.

Lasted about 40 mins.  Felt confident beforehand, if a little stressed, nervous.  Difficult to gauge the outcome now that it's done but I did write down what I was asked and how I answered.

I applied on 11the Feb, had a text on 9th April and I've been told the standard 6-8 weeks for a decision.

Just a waiting game now...

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Karawen said:..was also going to ask for it to be recorded but forgot about that too! (Surprised it's not standard process) 
    DWP working on that.
    https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-06-15/16260
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Karawen
    That's good to hear @calcotti anything that makes it easier for all involved is a good thing
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing your experience so far @Karawen :) Best of luck for the decision.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Karawen
    Yes I never really thought of it that way.  I was thinking more of from an appeals process and for more transparency but things are rarely straight forward.

Thanks for your comment.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Karawen, hello and welcome, now you have had your assessment which in your opinion went ok. Wait a week then phone the DWP and request a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. If reading the report and think that your award is totally wrong to what you thought or think it should have been you will have extra weeks to gather information and evidence to support your mandatory reconsideration should you wish to submit one once you have received the official award notification letter.
  • Karawen
    Thanks, I've made a mental note to request a copy at the end of next week.
  • LauraW1
    LauraW1 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Fingers crossed for you, I done my pip appeal on phone and won it end of last year after a year long wait...so it can be done x
  • Karawen
    Well done @LauraW1 I bet it was a huge relief!
  • Karawen
    I've just received my assessment report and it looks as though I'm getting no points so it looks as though I'll be going to do an MR.

There are one or two inconsistencies but the question I have relates to the bathing descriptor.  It says in my report that option E was considered but not selected as there was no occupational or physio input.  My condition is a muscle wasting one and affects the upper limbs (FSH MD), I don't attend physio for it as I've always done exercises (from previous physio appointments, years ago) to prolong the muscle strength/mass as much as I can but this seems to have gone against me.  

I know it's a case of my word against theirs but, in this instance it appears to be the lack of report specifically has meant that option wasn't selected.

I've read that having a GP letter doesn't really hold much weight.  Would it be advisable to get referred to physio just so that I can get a report? 

Has anyone else had anything like this happen due to lack of professional evidence?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.