Anyone feel this way? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone feel this way?

Claire2021
Claire2021 Scope Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm after some advice regarding work. I'm self-employed, have been for 2 years, I sell home fragrance products and the money's good when the sales are good, it's better around Christmas. I'm also a virtual assistant, I love aarrying out the work too, but never manage to get any work like that, I don't even charge that much and still can't get consistent work which is a shame. I lost my mum 2 weeks ago so benefits have been cut and it's a struggle, I feel I can't do much to help with the household income. Anyone else feel frustrated when you can't get work? I do lots of voluteering to gain skills, but that doesn't pay the bills, even when I apply for jobs they never come back successful or I don't have the experience they need.   

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Claire2021 :) 

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of the recent loss of your mum. Have you been coping okay? 

It can certainly be difficult to enter employment, and to find consistent work if you're self-employed. Scope have some information and advice on trying self-employment, which might be of interest to you?

Do you claim any of your own benefits? 

Do you mind me asking what kinds of jobs you're applying for? It's great that you've been volunteering to try and improve your CV. Scope do also have a number of employment services that might be able to help you enter employment if you're eligible. Is that something that you think could help?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Claire2021
    I claim PIP, but nothing else. I have been applying for remote jobs I have seen, proofreading, transcription, admin, customer service, but nothing comes back, I would need to do it from home. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Claire2021 - welcome to the community. I just wanted to say I'm sorry to read about the very recent loss of your Mum.
    Are you on any benefits yourself, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Claire2021
    Hi, yes just PIP, nothing else
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @Claire2021 can I add my sympathy for your loss, we lost the wife's mum this week.
    Regarding benefits can i suggest you use a benefits checker to see if you are missing any:

https://benefits-calculator-2.turn2us.org.uk
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Unfortunately the job market isn't very good at the moment as you can imagine 

Any vacancies are attracting more applications than ever 

You maybe entitled to other benefits depending on your circumstances 

Really sorry to hear about your loss do you have any other support 
  • Claire2021
    I just live with my dad now, the council has stopped all housing costs help, he's retired and half of his pension now will be just for paying the rent, the rest will have to be spent on bills and food, despite us providing a proof of income 
  • chiarieds
    Thank you for kindly replying @Claire2021 - my reason for asking is it might be an idea to do a benefits check to see if you might get some more financial help. Try the benefits calculator here: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

• chiarieds
    Sorry @woodbine - I keep forgetting to check for new posts before replying, but at least 'snap.'
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear bout your mum. 
    Are there any other benefits you could claim ? 

I only get pip also . I’m unable to work because of my mental illness but on good days I feel like I can work but I know I can’t and that frustrates me . But I have been looking at little cleaning jobs but once employers find out bout my mental illness I can forget bout getting a job . 

As mentioned above there are so many people looking for work at the moment . 

I feel useless at times but I know I need to rest because any sort of stress could have me back in crisis again . 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Please do take a look at those benefit calculator links @Claire2021, as it might be that you're not claiming something you're entitled to.

In terms of work, as Janer1967 has said, the job market isn't great at the moment. That being said, there are an increasing number of work from home jobs being advertised. Did you take a look at the employment services link I sent you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness