I received my Pip report. It's contradictory, and doesn't make sense. Could I have some advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I received my Pip report. It's contradictory, and doesn't make sense. Could I have some advice?

Sammiecat75
Sammiecat75 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all

I received my report this morning from my assesment..i have read through it all and i dont dont understamd what it all means its very contradictory it hss gave my tics and no ticks ..basicaly saying that i can cope.
Can i get advise on this please im ready to.do. MR im actualy so deflated now and more upset thta i have waited 6 months.
Stating that i can understand and im fluent when speaking never mentioned that i waa very upset and couldnt cope over the phone..never me mentioned the issues i had with my husbands suicide in 2005 then my partner dying last year im.totaly disgusted with this report.
I dont know what to.do.now x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there Sorry to hear your report isn't what you expected 

The assessor doesn't repeat what you said in the report they form an opinion of your functionality against the descriptors 

There is nothing you can do till you get the decision letter unless you write first and give details of what you think is wrong 

I understand your frustration and anger try and take some time to think about it once you feel less emotional 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I know how frustrating it is to see they haven't said what we expect them to say in the report/decision! But you don't have your decision yet hun it may not be as bad as you think? But even if it turns out you do need to do a MR you have some awesome support on this forum?  The only thing I can advise is please don't make same mistake I did and write the mandatory reconsideration letter while upset? I did that and I had focused on the wrong thing and mine was more about how peed off and disappointed I was with the assessor and decision maker :disappointed: and it was basically a 12 page rant on how they are completely wrong and should be ashamed of themselves!! And as much as I do still believe some of the things I wrote it just wasn't going to help my case? So I had to rewrite another letter 3 weeks later with the right focus (why I disagree with the decision point by point with examples using the descriptors list?) I just have confused the whole process and probably made it take longer as it takes 2 or 3 weeks for post to arrive at the right destination at dwp right now? So as much as it is horrible that we basically bare our souls to these people and they appear to of not even listened unfortunately we have to try and find a way to put that stuff out the way even if temporarily just so we can get the MR done as best we can? And give ourselves the best chance possible?
    I really hope you are OK @Sammiecat75 it took me literally 3 weeks to stop obsessively ranting in my head and breaking down in tears etc over what my assessor had said and the decision that was made afterwards? Partly because I was alone I hadn't found this place yet so please don't let it drag you down and please don't struggle with the emotions all by yourself it made it so much harder for me!
    I will shut my hole now lol(finally) but take care and don't forget this is not the end... The way I am now seeing it is maybe I am meant to go through the MR/appeal process so I get higher award in the end? ????
  • Sammiecat75
    Thanku for all ur kind words and support all i can do.is now wait on the decsion.
    Your right try and get it out my head for.now its so frustrating that yiu do bare your soul to these people ..they dont know your day to day life.when you wait half a year to get this .it just adds more stress 
    Well who knows i could be reading it wrong but this is all new to me..i just wish i could have some one read it over for me to understand it all. Thanks all for listening 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Many people find the process upsetting, so you're not alone @Sammiecat75. It can be difficult when you don't feel as though the reality of your situation has been reflected accurately in the assessor's report. Perhaps wait to see what your award letter says, and then go from there. 

If you decide to go for an MR, it's worth remembering that you shouldn't focus on the fact that you feel as though they've been dishonest. It's more important that you focus your efforts on proving your case, and demonstrating where you should have scored points. Does that make sense? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Have you got a support worker or anyone that would be able to break it down and explain the report hun? X
  • Sammiecat75
    I dont have anyone to help me with it.as toriscope says i can only wait untill the award letter comes in..the paper work i put in explained everything whats happening and happened to me..its so horrible how these assesors can get away with this.
    They said my mental health was no concearn says i was communicative and no problem.answering questions..never mentioned how uncontrolably upset i was andhad take time to bring myself round..says my medication was nothing and its normal..the more i read it the more upset it makes me.
    So after all this its now just been a waste of time.
    I will wait and see what dwp says..will keep you all posted x
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sammiecat75 - I know it's hard, but please don't get upset with what the assessor's report says. They use many 'cut & paste' responses, so often it can feel like they're 'wrong,' or talking about somebody else; many of us have been there. What's important is you mentioning ticks in your report. There will be just one tick for each activity/descriptor. If you compare these with the following you will see what the assessor has recommended (& altho the decision maker usually goes with these recommendations, they don't always). Please see: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf     You need to add up any potential points for each component separately.....those for daily living, then those for the mobility component. 8 or more points are needed for a standard award; 12 or more points for an enhanced award. So how many points were recommended for daily living, & how many for mobility?
  • Sammiecat75
    Hi it seems i got 4 and 10.
    But its all wrong.she has made out that i can eat by myself make decisons.on my finances im very brightly spoken bla bla bla..honestly when i was reading it im totaly gobsmacked..she says i held cinversation well i didnt need to be prompted lies lies lies..i couldnt speak at one point i was crying that much i was confused at some.of the questions. I had recently.got my MP involved amd they put a letter in of complaint of the time.it has taken and the anxiety and distress its causing me..i actualy donot believe what i read today..so now i know i wont get anything..its not all about the money its having someone talk to.over a phone amd self diagnose you when they cant see how your coping in daily life xc
  • Sammiecat75
    Unfortunately, how uncontrollably upset you were during an assessment doesn’t really tell them much about your ability to reliably perform any of the 12 activities so it wouldn’t be seen as a relevant thing to report on. “Spent 30 minutes in tears” tells them you found the assessment stressful. It doesn’t tell them much about whether you could prepare food, bathe, toilet or read reliably for example. 
  • Sammiecat75
    Mike i cant do all.the daily things my daughter does it all..its so horrible seeing a 21 year old run after their mother every day 
    Paying bills cooking and.cleaning its her ifeel sorry for.but now it doesnt matter i will not persue anymore its too.much for me i cant cope with it all.
    Just need to.let it go
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I do think it could be worth trying to put some evidence together and going for an MR if you feel up to it @Sammiecat75. Try and put it out of your mind for now if you can. 

I know that we offered this over email, but a social care referral could help you to access some more support at home if you need it. If you'd prefer to do this yourself, you can find your local authority and refer yourself from this gov.uk page. Have you spoken to your daughter about how she's coping with helping to care for you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sammiecat75 - you mention the assessor's report saying 4 points & 10, so far from you saying, 'so now i know i wont get anything.....' the assessor is recommending the standard rate for one of the components. Whilst you still have to wait for your decision letter, there does seem to be some positivity about this, even tho it's fallen somewhat short of your expectations.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.