How schools treat struggling children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How schools treat struggling children

Options
Vanesa
Vanesa Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2021 in Education
I feel so angry about how my son's Secondary school have treated him, and treated me as his mum trying to support him.  They should not gave told him 'he has to come in' when they had already  been told he is suffering from anxiety,  and I had spent the first term trying to get him more support for his needs. He has an EHCP but they gave him no support. Which is why he has ended up school refusing. The Local Authority have only just started listening and bothering to respond to my requests - I think because I wrote to my MP!!
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Vanesa

I'm sorry to hear how the school have communicated with your son  :(  I get how sentences like that can heighten anxiety and it infers a lack of understanding about his mental health.  How is your son doing and is he getting sufficient support with his anxiety from other professionals?

Also, have the school not been following the agreed EHCP and what have your local authority done to intervene? (Apologies for all the questions!).  Scope have a good information page about what to do if schools aren't abiding by an EHCP that could be handy to read.  

Just to let you know, I've moved your post to our Education and learning category to help others in a similar position easier find it :) 

Remember to look after yourself throughout all this too - your anger is understandable given the situation and I hope things improve for the next school year.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness