Feeling so alone in my disabled experience, wanting to reach out to the community! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling so alone in my disabled experience, wanting to reach out to the community!

Actual_binbag
Actual_binbag Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Thanks for reading! I'm Elliot, a 21 year old from south England. 

My whole life I have tried very hard to assimilate, I've not been able to completely and I understand the privelidge that comes with being able to do that somewhat but its just so exhausting, I try so hard to do things without assistance but the effort alone often exhausts me to the point I often can't function beyond basic things. I'm trying to start a journey of self acceptance, accepting help and trying to feel less alone.

I am visually impared (blind in one eye, poor vision in the other and none in low light), dyspraxic, autistic and with many mental health issues that are very limiting (such as PTSD). In most areas of my life I have adapted ways to function independently, enough so a lot of people in my life don't take things seriously or minimise my issues, probably partly because I am not super open about how emotionally difficult these things are for me. I'm really hoping to find some support and acceptance from people that understand
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Actual_binbag and welcome to our community, how are you doing today?

Thank you for sharing some of your personal story and thoughts with us.  It sounds like you have been managing a lot of conflicting thoughts, for a long time, and have understandably reached the point of exhaustion.  I think the word you use 'assimilate' is a powerful one, and sums up how many of our other members feel too - that they have to change and adapt to fit in with non-disabled ways of working and being.  But you have every right to have your needs recognised and accommodated because they are no less important.  

It's great to see that you have received support on another thread in relation to your visual impairment, and I wondered if you had anything in place support-wise to help with your dyspraxia, autism and mental health issues?  Also, you mention that a lot of people don't realise the impact of your conditions on daily life.  Is there anyone close to you, be it a friend or family member, who you feel that you could begin to open up to?  I truly know it's not easy, but I'm sure your loved ones would want to know to be able to better support you through the challenges you face.

If we can be of any more help, please let us know  <3  And in the meantime, feel free to make yourself at home on our community.  You might find our Aspergers and autism category and Mental health category particular spaces in which you can relate to.  

Take care and have a lovely Friday.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Hi Elliot

I am a Mum to an autistic 18 year old and I also have a younger sister with ASD.
    My daughter finds it hard to communicate her emotions face to face, so we write each other simple letters, emails or texts and this really helps her to tell me how she is feeling. 

Thank you for sharing your story, it sounds as though despite your difficulties, you have great determination. 

My own life experiences have taught me that as human beings, we all need support at times regardless of age, gender or ability. Recognising this need is a huge step and not always easy! And, you've already taken that first step. 

You will find this forum is full of people who are kind, accepting and do understand, and want to help and support each other in any way they can.. ?

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Elliot.

I am too like you with Autism and other Mental/Physical health issues which make my (our) lives difficult. Every day can be a struggle to even smile never mind having the motivation to do things. I am here for a chat 24/7 if you ever needed one. I understand your issues so it could be good to speak out and help you, take one thing at a time.

Nice to hear from you on here.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Actual_binbag - I just wanted to welcome you to this friendly & supportive group, where you will find many understanding members. Pleased you have joined, Elliot. :)
  • foryoureyesonly
    foryoureyesonly Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    I'm new to welcome i have always struggled to associate with people and now its catching up with me in every way and i'm losing my hearing i hope the community can help people like us and we can make our contribution.
  • Abdulhafiz
    Abdulhafiz Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello ? I hope you have a wonderful day today I love to assist others so if you need any assistance just shoutout.
  • LoubyLou11
    LoubyLou11 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi Elliott, welcome to the group, I'm a newby too. I used to work with people who have varying degrees of autism. I also have a cousin with autism, who is unable to communicate, he is 11 now.
    Anyhow, if you fancy a natter sometime, I'm here. ???

Brightness