New words — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New words

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge
I thought this would be a nice idea...

If you have recently learnt a new word, or, if you have an unusual word you like which you think most of us won't know, please share it and its meaning!

I learnt a new word yesterday: "biddable". It means "likely to accept and follow instructions". It made sense to me because to "do someone's bidding" means to do what they want you to do. However I'd never heard of the word "biddable" before. :)

I learnt this word as a relative said our dog was very biddable!

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang Lovely thread and a great opportunity for me to extend my vocab  :D  

I like Susie Dent of Countdown fame's Twitter account as she posts a 'Word of the day', and their meanings, most days.  Take yesterday's which was:
     'flapdoodler' (19th century): a speaker of nonsense; a deliverer of twaddle and flimflam.
    I've certainly known a few flapdoodler's in my time! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Mini mo  is microwave  my partner has said it for years lol 
  • 66Mustang
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Perhaps an unusual word that some may not have come across is 'dolally'. My mother-in-law used to say it, & I honestly thought she'd made it up. My father-in-law did make words up, so I thought she'd done the same. In the way she used it it meant going a bit daft, or losing your marbles, as in when she would say, 'I'm not going dolally you know!'
    Years later, for some reason I googled it, & the term comes from the place Deolali in India, which was a British Army camp during the British Raj; the soldiers' name for the camp was 'Dolally.' As some were stationed there for a long time it became a slang word for camp fever (originally 'Dollally tap' from 'tapa' meaning fever). The camp was the setting for the 1970s BBC comedy 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum.'
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Love finding out new words! I follow Susie Dent on Twitter too @Cher_Scope some of the words she has used in the past have cracked me up :lol:
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
    @chiarieds

My family has always used that word!! However, I never knew where it came from, thanks for sharing! :smiley:
  • Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    @charieds..Iv def heard the word 'Dolally'
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    For those of you with smart speakers, in particular the Google one, or if you have the Google Assistant on your phone. Saying "tell me an interesting word" always brings up some fantastic new ones :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Spuddle 
    to work ineffectively: to be extremely busy while achieving absolutely nothing.

My favourite word and sums me up completely which is why it inspired my username here. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Thanks for sharing that @chiarieds. I still use dolally the same way as your mother-in-law and enjoyed reading the history of it ❤️

I’ll be adding ‘biddable’ to my repertoire now @66Mustang
  • Lisatho11987777
    Skidaddle  means go away  be gone  or go 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Apples and pears  means stairs 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Well, spuddle is a new word for me @spuddle - & welcome to the community. :)  You have added to my vocabulary. This is an interesting thread @66Mustang with new words to learn. One of my favourite words, which I use to describe my best friend, is 'incorrigible'. He seems to like it, as he keeps saying, 'I know, I'm incorrigible.' We both mean it in a nice way; he'll never change, but that's part of why I like him. :)
  • 66Mustang
    I grew up playing a game called World of Warcraft and the class I chose to play as was a priest so I learnt loads of "religious" words as they were the name of the spells/abilities I had in my arsenal...

Smite
    Absolution
    Penance
    Manna
    Benediction

Probably none that exotic in the adult world but as a 12 year old my R.E. teacher was impressed when I knew what things meant :D 

My other character was a rogue which I learnt quite a few gruesome words from for the same reason as it had abilities called: Garrote, Mutilate, Rupture, Shiv. Luckily didn't have a teacher to impress with those words!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    See, who says you don't learn anything from video games @66Mustang? They are an educational hotspot :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    66Mustang said:
    I grew up playing a game called World of Warcraft and the class I chose to play as was a priest so I learnt loads of "religious" words as they were the name of the spells/abilities I had in my arsenal...

Probably none that exotic in the adult world but as a 12 year old my R.E. teacher was impressed when I knew what things meant :D 
    In primary school I played a lot of strategy games with my dad (Civilization, etc.) and would always come across terms like "metallurgy" and "polytheism". I'd add these words to my spelling list, then spend a heck of a lot of time explaining the meanings to teachers who wouldn't believe I knew what they were.
    This continued into my teens, where I'd come across these obscure terms while playing MMOs too!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Not a new word but a new meaning I learnt this week...  'Ham' is the genuine term for desirable e-mails, as opposed to undesirable 'spam' emails.  :D
  • 66Mustang

Brightness