I have my PIP tribunal in 2 weeks. What can I expect and how can I prepare? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have my PIP tribunal in 2 weeks. What can I expect and how can I prepare?

Options
Popdiva43
Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Morning all, in exactly 2weeks today I have my pip tribunal by telephone, I'm really getting nervous, I'm also suffering from covid, so things ain't great, I would love some advice to prepare myself for what to expect and what they going to say, please help me. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi @Popdiva43 I'm sorry to hear you have covid  :( are you getting plenty of rest and keeping hydrated?  Try not to get too anxious about your PIP telephone tribunal, although I know it's easier said than done, we are all here to support you through it.

I left a few tips about preparing for your tribunal on this last thread.  But in terms of other things to consider, you might be asked about evidence in the appeal papers i.e. the assessors report.  It's important to tell the tribunal if there are any issues with this, for instance: has there been a mistake? is the evidence relevant to the PIP activity? has it been considered if you can do the activity reliably, that is - safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in reasonable time?

It's always best to be honest and make sure to ask the panel to explain or repeat anything you don't understand either.  

Will you have anyone with you for support?  

Just to let you know, I've slightly amended the thread title for others to spot it and offer their knowledge too 
    :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Popdiva43 - just to add a little to what Cher has mentioned already. The tribunal is totally separate from the DWP & consists of a judge, a Dr, & someone with an understanding about disabilities (they might be a carer for example). Tribunals know that assessor's reports often contain 'inaccuracies,' so what they most want to hear is about the problems you as an individual face with activities of daily living, &/mobility with regards to the PIP activities/descriptors. Your diagnosis will not be disputed.
    As mentioned, there's a Dr on the panel, so it's not great to criticise what the Health Care professional who did your assessment said, unless there are one or 2 provable 'inaccuracies'. Being successful with PIP is all about showing where you should have gained points, & why. They need to know how you were more than 50% of the time at the time of your assessment.
    As Cher stresses, it's important to say if you can do an activity reliably. Please refresh yourself with the PIP descriptors, & think about what applied to you. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    Good luck. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.