CAN I CLAIM CARERS ALLWOANCE FOR MY SON — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CAN I CLAIM CARERS ALLWOANCE FOR MY SON

mus
mus Community member Posts: 5 Listener
HI 
Hope you all are doing well.
I wanted to know can i claim carers allowance for my son.I am on furlough and so is my Husband. Still i get well over £128 per week. Do i Qualify for Allowance and i have another toddler too..
Will really appreciate your thoughts on this. 
Thanks 
regards
Mus

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    If you are receiving more than £128/week as furlough pay then you cannot claim Carer’s Allowance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 
    For carer's allowance the person you care for needs to be claiming a disability benefit like dla or pip 

Also your earnings need to be less than £128

if you claim uc you may be entitled to carer's element but again the  person needs to be getting a disability benefit 
  • mus
    the person getting DLA and PIP but i am over the threshold of £128...DO they not take into account the fact that I have another child too to look after ?
  • janer1967
    No they don't the number of children you have to care for is paid through child benefit 

Carers is to pay for the fact you are providing care for a disabled person who without your care would need to pay for their care 

I think there is some sort of disabled child tax credit payment but its not something I know about 

You said they get pip and dla ? They can't get both 
  • mus
    sorry i meant he gets DLA and motability....my son is only 6 yrs old and needs full attention and help from nappy changing to feeding. As he is not mobile.I am really confused with what I can apply for and what i am eligible for.
  • janer1967
    Try using a benefits calculator on the gov website  so you can enter all your details 
  • mus
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You can use a benefits checker to see if there is any entitlement to Universal Credit. You can include the carer element in the calculation. As UC is means tested whether or not there is any entitlement will depend on your household circumstances.

Carer’s Allowance is intended to compensate people (albeit at a ludicrously low level) who have lost the ability to earn due to their caring responsibilities. As you still have earnings over the threshold you do not need compensating. The extra costs of disability are supposed to be covered by the DLA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mus

Brightness