Reasonable adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments

Drumbrick_1
Drumbrick_1 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
My employer won't enforce my reasonable adjustments, of supervisors wearing headsets while on the shopfloor. So, my supervisors just keep ignoring them. Or say they don't work. They were all replaced today, and this afternoon, again, they refused to wear them. I spoke to the duty manager, who said for me to take a break. 20 minutes later, I returned to the shopfloor, no headsets. I've raised this with them, with my line manager, duty managers, store manager. I just keep being ignored. I have mental health disabilities, am medicated and have a care worker.  Any suggestions what can I do?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

It is hard for an employer to enforce reasonable adjustments on other employees for your benefit 

Why do you need them to wear the headset ? 

Understanding why will give me more info to help you 
  • Drumbrick_1
    Headsets are a company wide issue for all shopfloor supervisors. 
    This solution came about due to supervisors not responding to my calls for help using other methods to get attention for help. Sometimes taking half an hour to respond. 
    It was suggested by my department manager and people manager as a means to prevent my anxiety, and also to assist in preventing my depression kicking in.
    The headsets benefit all the workers and customers, not just me and are part of their tools to do their job. They are expected to be wearing them regardless. As they do elsewhere in the business.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I would suggest you go back and discuss the issue with the store manager and HR and if a member get the union involved?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    OK well it isnt really a case of enforcing reasonable adjustment if it is an expectation that they are worn for business needs and not just for you 

If this method isn't working then you may need to work with them to find a alternative solution 

Or you could put in a formal complaint in writing 
  • Drumbrick_1
     I just don't understand why they've put it in the reasonable adjustments section, along with other normal work equipment. The people manager and line manager filled it in. Saying 'that's reasonable ' so I signed and then expected them to do what they suggested.
    This has spiked my ill health.
    Thanks for setting me straight, I'll follow your advice.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry this has spiked your ill health @Drumbrick_1. Have you been able to access any additional mental health support to help you get through this? Is your care worker aware of how this is affecting you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Drumbrick_1
    My care worker recently changed, I have not told her about my health spikes. I do not like bothering my care worker as I know she has a heavy workload already. I go to her as a last resort.

Brightness