How to stop a cat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to stop a cat

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
hi, I have a large ceramic pot outside my front door and recently a cat has decided to use it as it’s toilet. Some goes in the pot if you get my drift.

any ideas on how to prevent this happening please? ☹️ 

Ps, if we move the pot it will probably now poo where the pot was I’m thinking.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    My nana used to say orange peel because cats hated the smell of something like that, not sure where she got it from or how true it is. 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
         If I see the cats coming and I'm quick enough I have a water pistol at the ready, they soon learn.  Cats don't like citrus so orange or lemon peel might work, or try something like chicken wire in the top of the pot, they don't like anything they can't walk on. I hate cat owners that just let their cats roam to do their business anywhere but at home, train them to use a litter tray, it's not hard. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,104 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can buy cat repellents from a lot of shops b&m etc, not sure if there any good
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
      They're ok till it rains @Sandy_123, I've tried everything I can think of, but the water pistol comes out best ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leeCal

Have you tried waiting for it, and asking it politely to stop in your best meow voice?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @leeCal - try tying an old CD to a stick, then put this in the pot. Cats don't like shiny objects. This worked in my next door neighbours front garden (several CDs on sticks) when my cat initially disgraced herself by visiting there. She has now been trained to toilet in my garden.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness