Help with MR for pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with MR for pip

Options
cdf99
cdf99 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi everyone I’m looking for some advice on what to write in my mandatory reconsideration letter, I had my award notice last week and I’ve been given standard mobility but only scored 6 for daily living, 
I need assistance to cook my meals as I have really bad arthritis in both hands, I only scored 2 points for this as they said I can cook a meal for 1, not sure how they can say that when all my meals are cooked for me, also I need help to get in and out of the bath or shower, so I would of expected 3 points but I only scored 2, I need help and assistance with my treatments and medication daily I use a pill box as I’m unable to twist the top of medication pots, I also need help twice a day to apply my prescription skin treatments. I was awarded nothing for this, any help of advice on what to say when I write my letter would be very much appreciated. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cdf99 hi, the best thing is to point out where you didn't score points but thought you should have done and why, giving where possible a real life example of when you tried to do something and what happened.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cdf99, hello and welcome, I have to agree with @woodbine, you have to remain focused on each of the descriptors which you think, believe you should have been given a higher score. Give real examples of what happens each time you try or attempt the descriptor. Remember you have to be able to,preform the descriptor safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner for 50% of your daily living. If you need extra time to submit your MR phone DWP and asked for an extension you may get a few extra weeks.
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    @cdf99 I would echo what both @woodbine and @wilko have advised. 

Being completely focused on the descriptors on which I felt I'd been underscored worked for me.  In my Mandatory Reconsideration I referred to the information I had already supplied on my original application.  Where necessary, I added to that information to give a fuller picture of how I cope/don't cope.

The MR telephone call was very short, less than ten minutes, and the DM was completely focused on the descriptors I'd questioned. 

The outcome was I was moved from Standard Daily to Enhanced Daily plus Standard Mobility.

As the others have said, focus really is the key!   Good luck with your MR. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.