Hi Guys! Will pip take new COPD diagnosis into consideration with my other awards? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi Guys! Will pip take new COPD diagnosis into consideration with my other awards?

gazp
gazp Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im Gaz Im 46 and from the west mids....I need a bit of advise on a PIP related matter

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in 

What can we help you with regarding pip 
  • gazp
    Hi Janer1967....ok I'm currently in receipt of UC lcwra, rent and council tax, pip standard living for a back injury and depressional disorder....I've just been diagnosed with COPD but unsure of what level. Will pip take this into consideration with my other awards as on its own COPD doesn't count for any points....is it worth asking them...I'm a bit reluctant as I've not long sorted all this out and couldn't cope with all the hassle again....thank you
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

Pip isn't about a diagnosis it is about your functionality to perform the tasks in the descriptors 

You should only report a change in circumstances if your condition significantly impacts your daily living 

If you do report a change it will start the process of again 

You should get some expert advice from welfare rights before doing anything 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gazp - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. As Jane says PIP is about how your disorders impact on your function regarding the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP. If your new diagnosis wouldn't potentially change your award, then it doesn't need mentioning. And yes, you should always seek expert advice before putting in for a change of circumstances with PIP. Your other benefits are totally separate from PIP & they don't affect each other.
  • gazp
    Thank you for your help
  • chiarieds
    You're most welcome @gazp :)
  • gazp
    In all fairness it has changed I really struggle walking and get breathless quite quickly and just 1 flight of stairs wipes me out prior to the diagnosis the Dr was testing for heart failure as I have a long history of SVT
  • chiarieds
    Hi @gazp - have a look at the PIP descriptors, & see if this worsening of your condition might mean sufficient points could be awarded to change your current award. You mention your getting breathless, & altho using stairs is not considered, your mobility outside certainly is. You need to be able to do any activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, repeatedly, & in a reasonable period of time, so your getting breathless would be considered in the 'moving around' descriptor. Please see the following, reading the notes at the end: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    Then you would need to decide if you wanted to take this further with a change of circumstances. This is where you need some expert advice as there will be different variables including the length of your award; whether you might be financially better off putting in for a change of circumstances, etc. Try here: https://advicelocal.uk/    to see if there's a Welfare Rights office or Citizens Advice near you. Please let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gazp

Welcome to the community, how are you today?

I hope the advice above has been helpful and has cleared things up for you. It's important to consider whether you want to submit the change in circumstances because as mentioned by others that will trigger a review of your claim, which could result in your award going up or down, or staying the same of course.

Welfare Rights are a good place to try, as is Advice Local and possibly CAB too.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • gazp
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @gazp - have a look at the PIP descriptors, & see if this worsening of your condition might mean sufficient points could be awarded to change your current award. You mention your getting breathless, & altho using stairs is not considered, your mobility outside certainly is. You need to be able to do any activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, repeatedly, & in a reasonable period of time, so your getting breathless would be considered in the 'moving around' descriptor. Please see the following, reading the notes at the end: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    Then you would need to decide if you wanted to take this further with a change of circumstances. This is where you need some expert advice as there will be different variables including the length of your award; whether you might be financially better off putting in for a change of circumstances, etc. Try here: https://advicelocal.uk/    to see if there's a Welfare Rights office or Citizens Advice near you. Please let us know how you get on, thank you.
    Thank you so much.... after the drs suggestion of heart failure has sent me into a bit of a downward spin so just the thought of going all through the process again has totally done my head in.... thanks for the help ??
  • gazp
    Hello @gazp

Welcome to the community, how are you today?

I hope the advice above has been helpful and has cleared things up for you. It's important to consider whether you want to submit the change in circumstances because as mentioned by others that will trigger a review of your claim, which could result in your award going up or down, or staying the same of course.

Welfare Rights are a good place to try, as is Advice Local and possibly CAB too.

Hi Ross yes this help is awesome.... thank you
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    YOu are welcome @gazp

I can understand why you are feeling a bit down at the moment, but hopefully everything goes well with the PIP and the community will be here to support you throughout :) 

Take care
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.