What can we do about loneliness? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can we do about loneliness?

2»

Comments

• Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    i find it isolating not being able to walk because of problems with my knees i cant get out the house and am working from home. I am just home alone all day getting fat with only zoom for company. this site is a godsend. i agree that disablities can make you feel more isolated. i only had my conditionn a few years and remember when used to go on long walks, to the gym etc and be in the pubs etc
  • Geegeenumber1
    i find social media quite isolating when i see how many friends people have all their pictures and all their congratulatoons on birthdays etc it makes me feel like i have no friends and no life 
  • JKC
    JKC Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    It must be really tough for you also as you seem fairly young to have been struck down by illness as well, i can understand the temptation to compare yourself with your piers, but every person is unique and brings something to the table that the others cannot manage, and that's how i see you, years ago i hit really hard times because of events in my school days and into adolescence, i was an emotional wreck, it ended up with me making some very poor choices in life over the proceeding years to come, i lost all my "so called friends" in the time of my crisis & trauma, but its made me appreciate people, life and love all the more...but it broke me first.
    I do understand how social media could make feel worse, i guess with me, one day i said to myself.."I refuse to be defined by my past" as that's not who i am, it was a life crisis that i can honestly say formed my character to be way more loving, caring, empathetic and the whole thing humbled me to appreciate what i have in life, i value myself & others way more for it.

You are certainly in a tough place Geegee, and not being able to get out and about must be dreadful and frustrating, is there no possibility of that happening in the future? i think that in itself would help your cause a lot.

• Geegeenumber1
    thank you for your reply
    due to covid the medical treatment i need for my knees is all on hold i need an mri scan and then they want to try me on hyloronic acid injectioons they dont want to do surgery as im only 40 - not that young - but i need my quality of life now not just when im 60 plus

its very frustrating

one positive is i have been awarded a mobility car which i get in a few weeks bit nervous about driving a new car after a break but it will certainly open up my world a bit more

ive had a lot of so called friends as well one was my best friend buut he went awol and apparently had a breakdown stopped talking to all friends and family and might even be living rough now

life is tough for everyone it seems

really looking forward to a drink today with my mum as a sunday treat we have wine with a roast im dieting so 

but the negative is i cant even get a buzz from alcohol after medications took all my feelings away cant cry no feelings or emotions no interest in relationships and cant even get merry 
  • JKC
    JKC Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    oh wow, i would hate being on those meds, take away feelings and emotions they sound horrible, you must feel like a robot sometimes, omg i would struggle with those and to top it all, you cant even get a bit tipsy on the wine :(. Anyway Geegee, i do hope you have a good week, take care, will speak soon.
  • Geegeenumber1
    thank you that would be nice
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Courageous
    I do get lonely at times because during the COVID-19 I missed all of my friends and family relatives.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you felt comfortable meeting up with more people since the restrictions have eased @chloeknight16071992
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Courageous

Brightness