What is an initial UC assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is an initial UC assessment?

LeeA380
LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I recently applied for Universal Credit. Is this the assessment where they will determine if you can score the 15pts required? Is this something they do over the phone?

I was supposed to meet for a face to face interview but re-arranged so it could be done over the phone due to my current mobility problems.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sorry it isn't very clear what you are referring to 

Have you recently applied for uc if so it will jyst be an interview with your work coach 

If you have reported a medical condition and filled in the uc50 form it will be an assessment for work capability with a health care provider 
  • LeeA380
    edited July 2021
    @janer1967 I recently applied for UC so I guess it is just with my work coach?

I have been on ESA for 1 year for injury reasons, and of course now I must transfer to UC. So i presumed it was the same kind of thing.

I haven't been told about the UC50 form. I hope my work coach will advise me on what to do regarding that.
  • janer1967
    Yes it will jyst be the work coach.  Did you report a medical condition when you applied and provide a fit note.  If so your work coach should refer you after 28 days for work capability

Did you not have a assessment when you was on esa for work capability 
  • LeeA380
    I am still waiting for my ESA assessment @janer1967. However, now that the 1 year is up, I doubt I will get one. Everything has to be UC now.
  • janer1967
    If you did the uc50 form for esa it will carry over to uc and then you won't have to start the process off again 

Make sure you explain  all this to your work coach 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    LeeA380 said:
    I am still waiting for my ESA assessment @janer1967. However, now that the 1 year is up, I doubt I will get one. Everything has to be UC now.
    When you have an assessment the decision should be applied to both ESA and UC and if found t have LCWRA you should get your ESA reinstated, UC may continue alongside the ESA and provide a top up to the ESA (depending on your household circumstances).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.