Hi, my name is Miner! Should I get ESA support group after being awarded PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Miner! Should I get ESA support group after being awarded PIP?

Options
Miner
Miner Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi thanks for having me?  I have a question I’d like to ask the community if I may.  I get ESA at the standard rate of £74.70 per week, I recently got awarded PIP for my disability, should I automatically get ESA support on top of my basic ESA?  I was given a phone interview back in March and the outcome was they wanted a face to face not sure how, when all suspended due to Covid.  If I should qualify for this ESA support payment top up money now, can someone please inform me how to go about it, thanks in advance Miner.

Comments

• Miner
    Options
    Hi thanks for having me?  I have a question I’d like to ask the community if I may.  I get ESA at the standard rate of £74.70 per week, I recently got awarded PIP for my disability, should I automatically get ESA support on top of my basic ESA?  I was given a phone interview back in March and the outcome was they wanted a face to face not sure how, when all suspended due to Covid.  If I should qualify for this ESA support payment top up money now, can someone please inform me how to go about it, thanks in advance Miner.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Getting pip doesn't automatically entitle you to the esa support group that depends on the outcome of your assessment 

F2f are taking place now for those who have been unable to have a decision based on phone assessment 

You may be entitled to sdp payment if you live alone or with someone who also gets a disability benefit and if nobody claims carers allowance for you 

If this is the case then call esa to claim
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    They are two separate benefits so no PIP does not automatically qualify you I’m afraid. 
  • Miner
    Options
    Janer1967, thank you for the reply?

• Miner
    Options
    MarkN88, thanks for the reply..
  • Fraser
    Fraser Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    They did a telephone interview with me 4 weeks after my application for ESA last year & on that basis put me in the support group. I’ve since moved onto the equivalent for veterans. Does the PIP assessment offer you any supporting evidence? It could br worth contacting ESA to suggest that. Believe it or not they do not communicate with each other, you have to do all of the chasing. 
  • Miner
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @miner and welcome to the community, how are you? 

I hope the response from Jane has been able to resolve your query. As mentioned, PIP won't impact your ESA outcome as they are two separate benefits. I hope your face to face goes well, is it far off or not been arranged yet?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Miner
    Options
    Hi, it’s not been arranged yet, I can’t see me attending any face to face.  As Scotland cases are on the increase and being COPD positive I’m at a higher risk of contracting COVID.  I’m pretty much shielding and will be continuing to do so.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.