Ehcp rejected. Without 1 to 1 support he may be unsafe. Can they do this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ehcp rejected. Without 1 to 1 support he may be unsafe. Can they do this?

Options
kelvy
kelvy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2021 in Education
Hello 
We have just found out my sons EHCP has been rejected, the school he is at has said to keep him safe they need him to have a one to one,  he has had a teaching assistant one to one and he has improved at school so much and is really starting to focus and his teaching assistant is great with him we all have seen such positives academically and within his confidence, we have just been told
since his EHCP had been denied they are taking away his one to one and they won’t be offering support as they can’t afford this, this really concerns me as they said without one to one they couldn’t keep him safe can they do this? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kelvy and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear what has happened, I'm not sure how to advise, but hopefully other members will be able to provide insight and help you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kelvy :) I'm sorry that your son's EHCP has been rejected. I'm sure that must be very stressful, especially as your son was doing so well.

Scope has a page on challenging an EHC plan decision, which you may find helpful. Have you been in touch with IPSEA or your local SENDIASS at all? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • kelvy
    kelvy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    No I haven’t I shall look Into them Thankyou fairly new to all this so that sounds good as just need some advise really ??
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's definitely worth looking into seeing whether they can help @kelvy. Please do let us know whether you get the chance to have a chat with them.

In the meantime, have you spoken to the school about your concerns over keeping him safe? Although they might not be able to offer than one to one support for the time being, I think it's important that you have a discussion over how they might be able to ensure his safety while in school. Do you mind me asking whether there's a particular reason there are concerns over his safety? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness