UC want me to carry on waiting for the ESA assessment even though my ESA is about to end? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC want me to carry on waiting for the ESA assessment even though my ESA is about to end?

LeeA380
LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
I know my ESA ends after 1 year (still awaiting the assessment) so with only a week or two remaining I have tried to move over to UC.

However, UC phoned me today from the job centre to say that there is no point coming to UC and awaiting an assessment with them, as it will probably take longer than it would to wait for the ESA assessment.

This means I now get no ESA or UC benefits for the next X number of months? I have been waiting 12 months for an assessment, and I at least need some benefits to tide me over until the assessment eventually comes.

Seems to me like UC are passing the buck.

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Wow so what do they say you should survive on in meantime?? :disappointed:
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you have been given wrong advice other members have done this and after assessment finally happen the decision transfer to uc 

You can claim uc and esa but esa would deducted from uc 

I get your esa is about to end but will be reinstated if you get support group 

I would talk to welfare rights 
  • LeeA380
    LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    I think you have been given wrong advice other members have done this and after assessment finally happen the decision transfer to uc 

You can claim uc and esa but esa would deducted from uc 

I get your esa is about to end but will be reinstated if you get support group 

I would talk to welfare rights 
    Yes but I am in no-man's land between ESA  (12 months expired and still not assessed) and UC.

The question is, can I at least claim the looking for work part of UC (not support group as I haven't been assessed yet by anybody) until I wait for the assessment? Otherwise, as EmilyB said, I might be without means of survival for months yet.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you can just claim basic rate bit 7f you don't report the medical condition it could affect and cancel out the esa assessment 

As you will no longer be on esa and not reported a medical condition in uc 

As advised before I suggest you get some expert advice from welfare rights 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Anybody who claims UC has an entitlement to the standard allowance (subject to deductions for other household income and provided not excluded by savings). The health assessment determines whether or not there will be extra entitlement.

You need to report the health condition, backed up by a Fit Note, as part of the UC claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.