Hi, my name is Jason1! I didn't get PIP. I've appealed, but am not hopeful. Any guidance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jason1! I didn't get PIP. I've appealed, but am not hopeful. Any guidance?

Jason1
Jason1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello Sir/Madam,

My name is Jason, and I have various health issues. I have arthritis, a fused bone in my ankle, a fused bone in my left arm, bad fingers/toes, swollen knees, arthritis, anxiety and depression.

I applied for PIP, as you may have guessed I did not get it, even though I did everything asked, and more. I enclosed pictures, my medical records, and even sent a memory stick with a video of my limits!!! 
The reason, well you have to laugh, I have not had an operation, I only take Ibroprofen/paracetamols, I can drive, (even though I have not for ages), and I can cope with the pain!!! My anxiety and depression I can cope with!!! I mean, what?!?

I have started the appeal process and really exaggerated everything, but I expect, it will fail, and I will have to appeal over and over again! The annoying thing is, that she changed the answers in the original one too...I have made a complaint about her. 

Can you please give me some guidance or help please, as my anxiety, depression and health has been so poor because of the decision. The CAB have been useless. I am even thinking of paying someone to help me if the appeal fails....

I am out of work, and suspect that me going to work for many years, (the ankle injury was in 1992/93), and crying with pain each day has gone against me too.

I really hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.

Jason (Removed, full name)

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jason1 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry your initial PIP claim was unsuccessful, & you're having to take it further. Have you already done a Mandatory Reconsideration? I'm also sorry to read you have 'really exaggerated everything,' as this certainly isn't the best idea, & would be considered fraudulent. You should instead describe how you are on the majority of days with relevance to the activities looked at with PIP.
    Altho you sent a lot of medical evidence, PIP isn't about your diagnoses, but rather how your disability affects certain activities/descriptors considered with daily living &/mobility. Perhaps what was unfortunately missing was your own detailed anecdotal evidence as to exactly how your function is affected, e.g. giving a couple of real life examples as to when did it happen, what exactly happened, why, who saw it, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing any applicable activity?
    A good place to look for some help is here: https://advicelocal.uk/    you might find a welfare rights office that would be able to help. Everyone here will be supportive too, & we will try & help if you let us know what stage you're at with your appeal, thank you.
  • Jason1
    Morning, thank you for taking the time to reply. 
    My appeal is going through now, I have to wait 8 weeks for the outcome, to be honest I am expecting to appeal again. 
    When I say exaggerated, I mean what I go through on my bad days. If you knew me, you would know that I always play by the rules in this life!
    I have said about my functions in the original claim and the appeal. 
    I just don't understand the whole process, I really don't. I am genuine, out of work, and have battled through the last 30 years with pain, yet when I ask for help, it is a battle. 
    I appreciate they don't know me, and have to play by the rules, but really...I have enough battles in life and don't need another! 
    Thank you for all your help and support.
    Jason.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Sorry your PIP claim wasn't successful 

The success rate at Mr is very low but at tribunal it is a lot better 

All you can do is wait for the decision but if not successful then I would suggest you get some advice from welfare rights 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Jason1 - & thank you for kindly replying. From what you mention it sounds like you have sent off a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), so your claim will be looked at again by another decision maker. Whilst you can describe your bad days, it will be how you are the majority of the time that needs consideration. I'm pleased you have indeed described how your disabilities affect your function.
    This online Scope community is passionate about helping disabled people, & one of the biggest areas people have problems with is the benefits system, & yes, this can be a fight for some.
    Please let us know how you get on with your MR. Unfortunately most don't change a claim, but phone tribunals now are more successful. You might like to have a look around this section about PIP to see some of the advice given: https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla
  • Jason1
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    It has and if you don't mind will continue to be useful and a great help to talk to you. 
    I expect nothing will change, then I will have to take it further.
    It is very tough with my anxiety and depression to continue to fight.
    I will let you know, but not holding out much hope. I will have to look and prepare for the next steps....Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Jason.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Jason1 - we hear this from those members that have such as anxiety & depression all the time that it's especially hard to keep fighting. Anyway, one step at at time; some people are fortunate with a MR (I was one of them), but since joining Scope I have learnt that this is a bit random. However, with a tribunal, your assessor's report is essentially forgotten, & the tribunal just want to find out about your functional problems, as your diagnoses won't be in dispute.
  • Jason1
    Thank you once again for your kind words and advice...It is a blessing to be on such a nice, kind group. I think it will help me in my life. 
    Blessings. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jason1 and welcome to the community, lovely to meet you. 

Sorry to read your initial PIP claim wasn't successful, but I wish you the very best with the MR.

You mentioned your MH several times over the course of this discussion, is your mental health something you receive support to manage? Is your GP aware of how you feel?

Also, just to let you know I have removed your surname from your opening post, this is to protect your personal details and to comply with our community guidelines.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jason1
    Evening, nice to speak to you.
    Thank you for your kind words. My MH is all under control, with my counselor friends, working through things,
    I expect I will have to appeal again, just don't understand it really.
    Take care.
    Jason.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad to hear your mental health is under control, and that you seem to have a good support network around you @Jason1 :) Please do lean on them when you need to. 

Is there anything you're still confused about in particular regarding the appeals processes? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Jason1
    edited July 2021
    Afternoon Tori,
    Thank you for your kind message, and support, that goes for all of you at Scope!
    I will be re-writing my weekly diary, so they can see how it effects me. I have the forms for mandatory reconsideration printed off and bookmarked the appeal page if needed. 
    My anxiety has been through the roof, and had panic attacks, but still going. 
    The thing that gets me is that I have worked hard not to be on prescription medication, I am now on over the counter and do mind over matter techniques, and proud of that, it has been a long road, but that now seems to go against me! Whatever happens, I have a fused bone in my ankle for life, same in my left arm, swollen knees, bad toes and fingers that stop me doing normal things, but it seems I need to have more things, not including my anxiety and panic attacks! 
    I wanted to ask, do you when Covid permits have any local open days? I live in St.Albans, or is there a way I can meet new friends on here? I dont have many since my health got worse, funny how people are there in the good, but not the bad.
    Hope you are well and blessed. 
    Jason (Removed, full name) 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jason1

Sorry to hear about your anxiety being through the roof and your panic attacks, do you have techniques in place to help yourself through those moments? The panic attacks in particular sound concerning at the minute. 

What exactly do you mean by open days? Scope runs events quite often but I'm not sure there's anything purely dedicated to meeting others, however you will be able to do that on here. We have many members who have met on the community and become friends over the years.

Also, just to let you know I have removed your full name from your post again, in accordance with our guidelines.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jason1
    Hello Ross,
    Thank you yet again for your message, and hope you are well.
    Yes I am an old pro with my panic attacks and anxiety, but they are getting worse, as expected.
    That is what I meant, events, how do I get a list of local events, as and when we get back to normality!
    This site, you and others have made me feel so welcome, I hope to count you as friends, as they are lacking in my life!
    Bless you!
    Jason.
    P.S spent all morning trying to sort out and get advice from so many people. I have decided to send a new diary of my bad days, and the doctors letter plus new medical info, but I expect it will be the same outcome...Is it wrong to just want something good to happen to me?
  • chiarieds
    edited July 2021
    Of course we all want the best for you, & for your PIP claim to go well @Jason1 - but, please don't send a diary of your bad days. As I have tried to say, PIP is awarded based on how you are the majority of days. I sent an 8 day diary (meant to do a week but overshot!) which did in fact show some 'bad' days, as well as bad moments, but was a snapshot of what I go through, & not all of the days were my worst ones. I don't really have good days, but not all of them are my worst days, thankfully. Like yourself, I'm in pain daily, but with PIP it's how you are more than 50% of the time. A diary could be for a few days or a week illustrating how you normally are. My best wishes. :)
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    @Jason1 can I just ask if you have got the descriptors? I go on about them so much I know but I don't think you have mentioned them? And medical evidence is normally about your diagnosis rather than them providing support around the descriptors list? And if you haven't (like I hadn't) seen them or used them it may explain why you have got to do MR again like I had to?
  • Emilyb81
    @Jason1 by descriptors I mean have you been shown or have you seen the document that explains what they are actually looking at when assessing you for pip the 12 things? Because that one thing changed my whole outlook and stopped most of my confusion and I finally understood exactly why I have been failing before? And I just got my award back after a MR using that information too? So if you haven't already seen it it can be posted here ? ? If you have then just ignore me lol most people with sense do ???? jk!
  • chiarieds
    Good point, thank you @Emilyb81 . Here they are @Jason1 , & please read the notes at the end about 'reliability' i.e. can you do something safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly, or in a reasonable period of time? Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
  • Emilyb81
    I know I am bringing this up regularly but honestly I do not think I would of got award back without understanding these things ?? thankyou @chiarieds

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.