Mortgages — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mortgages

Caz2
Caz2 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
Hi just to update you all we are still looking for a mortgage but losing hope very fast people are still being discriminative about disability benifits ,what ever happened to everyone deserves a chance 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree but unfortunately that's the case 

Benefits can be stopped or sanctions applied 

But currently it is the same for working people who have lost their job 
  • Caz2
    Exactly I'm not one to get depressed I normally see the bright side of things but at the moment I just feel like screaming and giving up (and that's not me)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Mortgages and benefits are always a tough one, but there are financial benefits for renting.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Caz2
    I know but it's finding a place that takes pets as well as benefits and thars not easy especially around where we wanna live
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Using DuckDuckGo I looked up 
    mortgage on benefits uk
    And there are a few links to explore on the subject
    Good luck ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Caz2
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @Caz2 have you looked into shared ownership schemes? where you part rent part buy a home.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Caz2 - I'm sorry you're still looking for a mortgage. I've no idea if something like the following may help you as an option, but they use a whole market broker (simplyadverse) as @woodbine suggested on your other post. I have no knowledge about this particular broker, & they have a fee of nearly £2k if they find you a mortgage. I don't know if that's similar to other such brokers. See: https://www.finder.com/uk/mortgage-on-benefits    However, the site lists banks/building societies that may be able to help (as well as those that will not).
  • Caz2
    Hi woodbine I'm sure I have and found that we didn't qualify but to be honest I've looked at so much at times I don't think I could tell you my name.Chliarieds 2k seams like a lot as a finder fee when most are asking for just 1k I've looked on one website at mortgages for ppl on benefits and have a few numbers to try but I'm not gonna hold my breath,I feel really defeated at the mo.Thanks everyone for your help
  • Caz2
    Just to let you know I tried Shelter as was suggested they were very rude and unhelpful, implying that people on benifits shouldn't be looking for a mortgage, this is very upsetting as I'm sure you all know its not everybody's fault that they are on benefits 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that they weren't helpful @Caz2

It's certainly not easy to get a mortgage on benefits, and it can be difficult to rent privately whilst on benefits too. Many people do unfortunately find themselves in a similar situation to you.

I don't know much about mortgages, but in terms of renting and pet ownership, I've read that some housing associations can be more lenient towards pet ownership than private landlords. Have you looked into whether you could rent from a housing association?

Since January of this year, there's also been a new standard tenancy agreement in place, which has made it a little easier for pet owners to rent from private landlords in some cases. You can read about that on this gov.uk page.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Caz2
    Thank you I will certainly look at cgov,UK  to see about pets and look to see what housing associations  will have pets ad our time is running out ,but due to all the stress my husband has become ill  so things are gonna be slow I will keep everyone up to date if and when I have news 

Brightness