Admin..I Don't Know Where To oist This. Folks Advice Please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Admin..I Don't Know Where To oist This. Folks Advice Please

Options
oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I know the correct way to deal with this is 
Take No Notice but...

There is this lad, well he's a young man who works at Wetherspoon. He collects plates and cutlery off the tables and does other things.

He's a Downsyndrome. 

I used to go to a Handicapped college in the eighties. There were three other students with Downs. All three were lovable and friendly.
I had no problem with these people.
When he started waiting in Spoons I used to dine/drink there. We got on well. Talking about football, The Villa and other things.
Then about 18 months ago he completely changed. In my face-literally calling me the W word. Taking away my bottles of beer to washroom. When I questioned the bargirl where was my beer. He used to smirk at me and at one point came back to me calling me the W word.
I was with a mate having a beer and a meal. He came upto me said in a quiet voice over my shoulder again the W word. 
This was too close for comfort. Covid...
A few weeks ago I was at a bus shelter waiting for a bus. He walked towards me quite briskly and with intent. I quickly walked away. For all I know he may have had a weapon.
I have stopped drinking/eating at Spoons simply because of harrasment.
Not only does he harrass me, but another woman I know he freaks her out. Now she has got quite bad nerves.
But he has started harassing me and this other woman at this other pub.
I guess that some people reading this will probably be thinking..
He cannot help it though.

He must know he is doing wrong.
But he knows he will get away with it.

If I spoke to his manager I guarantee he'd get away with it.
Because it harrasment I could go to the Coppers. But they will do nothing, probably laugh in my face.

Can anyone suggest any ways of dealing with the above mentioned? Thank you.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this has happened @oldngrumpy this type of begaviour is not OK and needs addressing to prevent continuing it. Regardless of disability, any member of staff that treats customers like that is completely unacceptable.

At this point, I would definitely speak to the manager, because as you said, it's not just you this is happening to. Don't feel guilty about reporting his behaviour, disabled people or not, need to understand that it is unacceptable to do this.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • oldngrumpy
    Options
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with Ami you should complain about this. A shame but not your fault. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• oldngrumpy
    Options
    Thank you leeCal

Brightness