Nappy changing always does my back in — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nappy changing always does my back in

Options
JT_Hyperoptic
JT_Hyperoptic Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Nappy changing is the one for some reason it always does my back no way around it gets me every time!
any ideas 

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @JT_Hyperoptic, it is obviously the fact that you are bending over the baby to change the nappy which is causing your back pain.
    Keeping your back from bending over to the degree that it causes pain is crucial. 
    This can be achieved either by you sitting down as close to the baby as possible or by placing the baby and their mat on a higher surface such as a table rather than a bed.
    I hope that things improve for you. Take care. 
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Thanks for your reply hope you having a lovely day. Yes I have tried the obvious methods you mentioned works fine if the baby wasn’t to move which is impossible with a toddler.I wonder if the floor would be a better option and maybe pull ups rather than regular nappies 
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Ah, lucky you if you can sit on the floor!!!!
    Seriously if you can, then maybe it's a good idea. It's worth exploring.

I wish I could tell you that I'm having a good day but I've been in excruciating pain all day and unable to leave my bed.
    I must hope for a better day tomorrow, as we all should... 

Wishing you and toddler a peaceful night. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Oxonlady hope you feel a bit better tomorrow x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Oxonlady
    Options
    Hi @woodbine, thank you very much for your good wishes.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be a long-term challenge. The neurosurgeon told me a few days ago that he can't operate on my spine again, he can't do anything about my pain and I won't walk again. Of course I'm going to try my hardest to prove him wrong... 
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Honestly the floor isn’t a good idea for me, my physiotherapist thinks it maybe a good idea. Ended up with back spasm haha. Wishing you the best of luck to get better soon thanks for your reply 
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Hi@JT_Hyperoptic, physios don't always get it right, you have to do what you feel is best for you.

Have you found anything that helps your back so far? Have you tried sitting on a chair in front of the bed with the baby on the bed? Gentle movements are probably needed and keeping your back as upright as possible, bending from the waist.
    I learnt that last bit from the Alexander Technique years ago. 

Thank you for your good wishes.

I hope that you'll find an easier way to change your toddler. Take care and all the best. 
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Hello hoping you having a lovely day so far. Back pain! hmm I’ve tried the floor with massive cushions wasn’t too bad till I wanted to get up haha a chair near the bed wasn’t helping a chair next to sofa wasn’t helping on the long run, honestly I think it’s like what you mentioned that the baby has to be on a higher surface sort of speak. Have a good one 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there

I would try a higher surface you can get changing station or a fitment that goes on rails on top of cot

I used to change mine sat down on sofa with him across my knees and cushion to support his head 

Brightness