Newbie - Catriona - Safety Glasses — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Newbie - Catriona - Safety Glasses

Mercury363
Mercury363 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi all, thanks for allowing me to join.  I previously worked as an events manager with responsibility for disability access at Local council Events and as a Digital Manager with responsibility for access to digital assets for a government organisation.  I am now working as a General Manager for a safety glasses company and looking to expand my knowledge of the challenges, solutions and barriers for those requiring glasses or speciality eyewear.
I often have enquiries relating to various conditions so I am hoping that participating here will make me more aware, competent and increase my ability to find appropriate solutions.
Thanks again for having me! :)
Safety Protection Glasses
Provider of Prescription Safety Glasses and Speciality Glasses

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

I have vision impairment but not sure how I can help you 
  • Mercury363
    Thanks @janer1967 for your welcome.  Its a hard one really as there is no one size fits all! 

For example, it can be an easier option such as I was talking to a mum last week whose child had autism and she wanted goggles to stop him putting his fingers in his eyes when he was upset, but then we also regularly get contacted by people who require speciality glasses / prescription etc so it is a very wide base and I am not sure how to define it really. 

I am just hoping to read through any posts that might be able to provide me with more information as to how I can best approach the solutions and understand some of the challenges!  Thanks for your comment and the welcome! :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mercury363

Welcome to the community and thanks for introducing yourself and the work you do. 

Just to offer my experience regarding glasses, I'm severely sight impaired and use them mainly for screens and for protection against bright light. I have a pair with an amber tint which helps to ease screen glare, and for outdoor use I use a pair of what the RNIB call "eye shields" which reduce the impact of bright outdoor light while still ensuring I can use the useful vision I do have.

I find that some regular sunglasses are way too dark and can therefore make it much harder to use any useful vision, whereas in reality somebody such as myself just wants to have glasses that protect my eyes and eases the impact of bright light, and doesn't make it feel like night time due to really dark lenses :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I would second the above 

Is it just safety glasses you are researching about 

As well as the above I am unable to read without magnifier glasses but then have to take them off for normal vision 

You can get lenses you can attach to normal glasses and flick up and down but the ones I have found don't last long before they break 
  • Mercury363
    @Ross_Scope thank you so much for your welcome and the information!  Do you have a blue light blocker as well as your amber tint?  The amber tints are great for this and we recommend them to a lot of the gamer teenagers (and adults!) as they spend so much time in front of the screen.
    Do you wear your eye shields just as you would normal eye glasses?  Sunglasses are a difficult one, too dark a lenses as you say and you can be left literally in the dark.  I tend to go for a brown tint myself as this is usually the best for me for contrast and managing light (although I have no specific difficulty).
    I really appreciate the info, all situations for people with specific conditions help me to learn what we might need to be taking into consideration when we design glasses or come up against enquiries from the public.  Always best to be prepared!!
  • Mercury363
    @janer1967 - While I have ranges of other glasses (laser, radiation, glassworking etc) the safety glasses were the ones I felt would be most relevant for this forum, and the category that I get most enquiries about from the public. 
    I have a few of the clip on magnifiers here in the office and while the clip ons are sturdy as a product (so far no breakages!!)  they can damage existing eye glasses long term if not attached correctly, which can be a costly item to replace. 
    Thanks again for taking the time, I very much appreciate it! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    They have an anti-glare filter on @Mercury363 but I'm not sure about a blue light filter. I assumed with that that most devices these days have a blue light filter built into them so I didn't consider it to be something I needed in glasses.

I wear my eye shields like sunglasses really, but I don't like using the term "sunglasses" because I find glasses useful in more situations than just sunny ones, like cloudy days or bright rooms. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness