Council Tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax

skhan95
skhan95 Community member Posts: 123 Connected
Hello I hope everyone is doing good 
Actually I wanted to know if my partner move in with me My council tax will go up? Currently I'm getting council tax reduction  
Regards 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You will lose the 25% reduction for living on your own 

But you don't mention if you get any other reduction 

Each council has there own eligibility rules for reduction so we can't really advise 

You will need to contact the council they may have details on their website 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If a partner moves in that will change your entitlement to all means tested benefits. What else do you claim?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • skhan95
    I'm on universal credit but since he has moved I'm not getting anything from Uc because his earnings are high and he is not giving me anything because he came here to support me for my health and he was fine to pay rent but nothing else I thought he will be asked to pay rent only but now everything is mess I'm struggling now :-(
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Your Council Tax Reduction is likely to be calculated based on your UC entitlement. If your UC entitlement is now nil then i would expect your Council Tax Reduction could change also.

If you have poor health have you ever looked at possible entitlement to PIP?
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • skhan95
    Yes I have applied for pip but haven't heard anything 
  • skhan95
    Sorry one more question if I dnt get uc anymore can I apply any other benefit for my 2 kids 
  • calcotti
    skhan95 said:
    Sorry one more question if I dnt get uc anymore can I apply any other benefit for my 2 kids 
    Other than Child Benefit, which you presumably already get, no. Be aware however that if you partner earns over £50,000 per annum the High Income Child Benefit Charge will apply.
  • skhan95
    His earnings are normally 2500 monthly but he got grant couple of time from his self employment work because of covid effect 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand that he moved in to help you but surely he doesn't expect to only pay rent

In my opinion if he shares the house he should share all the associated costs after all if he lived on his own he would have to pay everything 

I get he shouldn't have to pay towards the children 

Do you get any support financially from the children father? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.