ACDF surgery and already disabled with other issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ACDF surgery and already disabled with other issues

MansfieldSticks
MansfieldSticks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all, I have been told I need ACDF surgery for a problem I've had for 2 years in my shoulder & arm, and its around the C7 area but told I need 3 discs recovered, caging inserted and fusion. I was only diagnosed in April and I've already had my preoperative assessment and now awaiting an op date. The problem I have is I already have issues with my mobility, having Sponylolithesis in my L4/L5/S1 vertebrae with a grade 2 slip, plus I have a lot of weakness in my leg and knee due to another issue and cannot walk unaided, my bipolar and anxiety is also playing a major part.

Has anybody also had this surgery with other mobility disabilities and use walking aids? If so, is it A major disruption to normal daily life?

I try to be as independent as I can although it is a struggle and that's before the shoulder/arm problems. I was wondering about the recover time and how long before I can be independent again.

I'm due to see my surgeon in the coming weeks to discuss my fears and aftercare following the surgery as it has all moved fast since my diagnosis. I am considering delaying the surgery as my mental health has declined since the diagnosis too.

Thanks in advance ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I had shoulder surgery a few years ago for a calcification not what you are having I don't know what you are having 

I was in a sling for 6 weeks then slowly started using it again and having physio

Personal opinion would be to get it done and not put it off 

I do understand your concern though you may feel better after discussion with your surgeon 

Good luck with what you decide 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MansfieldSticks

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us and sorry to hear about what you're going through. You mentioned your mental health a couple of times in your post and said it has gotten worse lately, do you receive any support from your GP to manage your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MansfieldSticks
    My GP not really but I'm in good contact with my psychiatrist and the local mental health team under him
  • mariequirk
    mariequirk Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    hi I’m sorry to hear how you are suffering, I have not long been diagnosed with almost the same as you, I’m awaiting a consultation with surgeon at the end of this month to discuss surgery as I can’t continue in this pain and on pain blocker all the time. I also suffer with anxiety, depression ptsd, so I sure do know where you are coming from. I wish you well and will post later when I know more on my situation. Pain causes low mood and low mood doesn’t help the pain. I wish you well for the future. 
  • MansfieldSticks
    Thanks Marie, I'm sorry to hear that too. I've spoken to my mental health team who is with me for every step and now requested to be included in it. They are also looking to help me sort aftercare out as I live alone.

I hope everything goes well with your treatment too. You can always chat to me on here if you need support, take your mind off of it or to vent, etc as it's similar treatment.

Take care and fingers crossed for you.

mariequirk said:
    hi I’m sorry to hear how you are suffering, I have not long been diagnosed with almost the same as you, I’m awaiting a consultation with surgeon at the end of this month to discuss surgery as I can’t continue in this pain and on pain blocker all the time. I also suffer with anxiety, depression ptsd, so I sure do know where you are coming from. I wish you well and will post later when I know more on my situation. Pain causes low mood and low mood doesn’t help the pain. I wish you well for the future
  • mariequirk
    mariequirk Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Thanks very much. Fingers crossed we get on top of our physical and mental health. Take care. ?

Brightness