Is there a premium or anything if you move from ESA to state pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a premium or anything if you move from ESA to state pension?

Options
pee14
pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, can anyone help my neighbour ?3 months ago he was invited to claim his state pension , his esa stopped (support group) because he moved to state pension but now his state pension is 166 a week he was getting more on esa ,have they not given him anything on top like a premium or somthing? like he got on esa, any help would be appreciated

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    ESA is a working age benefit so stops when someone reaches pension age regardless of whether they claim their State Pension.

If he lives alone and has no other income he should be getting a top up of Pension Credit to a total of £177.10/week as a minimum.

Whether he is entitled to anything more depends on his circumstances. Does he receive PIP or AA? If so does he live alone and does anyone claim Carer’s Allowance or carer element of UC for looking after him?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti He recieves pip both enhanced, and nobody claims carers he lives alone.thankyou
  • pee14
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @calcotti He gets 166.62 per week and has no other income
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    He needs to contact the Pension Service and ask about Pension Credit (or claim online)
    https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/how-to-claim
    In his case it should also include a Severe Disability Premium of £67.30 which would increase the combined total of State Pension and a Pension Credit to £244.40/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti Hi thankyou ,so has he only applied for his pension , but now needs to apply for the credit ?
  • calcotti
    Options
    pee14 said:
    @calcotti Hi thankyou ,so has he only applied for his pension , but now needs to apply for the credit ?
    Looks like it. 
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti he said thankyou so much for the advise given 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• pee14
    Options
    @woodbine
    Thankyou , I would have thought the DWP would have done this automatically especially when he was getting the SDP ,rather than having to claim it yourself. 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    pee14 said:
    @woodbine
    Thankyou , I would have thought the DWP would have done this automatically especially when he was getting the SDP ,rather than having to claim it yourself. 
    I agree, I thought when claiming State Pension you could do Pension Credit at same time. However in this case that appears not to have happened for whatever reason, possibly he may have been asked something when he claimed SP but not understood the significance so PC was not considered.

Therefore it looks as if he needs to claim. He can either try online or ring them.
  • pee14
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.