How to convince somebody to become interested in the football? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to convince somebody to become interested in the football?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Just a little something I've been considering.

With over half of the country set to watch the football tomorrow evening, I was wondering if there's anything you do to tempt somebody who is normally uninterested into becoming invested in the outcome and follow along?

So my questions:
  • What would you say to someone to get them a bit excited or interested in a huge event such as this one?
  • How would you explain it to them to make them somewhat invested in the outcome and follow along?
  • How do you describe the enormity of the situation?

Of course, I recognise you can't force somebody to be interested, and each individual is well within their right to care as much or as little about the football :) 
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    There’s nothing you can say to get me interested. I’ll be reading a book instead. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand what you are saying but I think it is sometime good to have separate interests 

I'm not a fan myself but do watch England in major games 

You can't force it if doesn't interest her 

I agree though it is a event in history 
  • Ross_Alumni
    :D I hope you enjoy the book @MarkN88, what are you reading?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Absolutely agree @janer1967 100%, I was just wondering if there's anything anyone tends to say in these situations to get somebody interested in something :) 

If she ends up not following the match, I will at least have an objective person to speak to after when England let us down :) 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Quickest way to get someone interested in the outcome of an event is to bet with them!

the larger the wager the greater the interest. 

Nb: please gamble wisely, if at all.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Reverse psychology generally works...  "I bet you can't watch the whole match"  ;)

As above though, I don't think you can interest someone if they don't want to be interested.  Honestly the main reason I got interested this year was the Scope sweepstake!  Then had a few bets and started studying tables etc...  If you'd told me 2 months ago I'd be interested in it I'd never have believed it!

The last time I was interested in international football, Sven was the manager!  :|  Watched the 2006 world cup game at a mates house with several other people...Portugal beat us on penalties iirc.  :#
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to be interested in it at school because of trading cards!

I'm hoping to go for a drive while the match is on to make the most of the quiet roads. I did the same last World Cup during I think the semi final and the roads were deserted, we had the football going on the radio. I just need to convince someone to come out with me, luckily I don't live in a football household but I think people will still be quite interested being the final...
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    I personally can't stand football, but after people said how well England are doing I've watched the last 2 games and rather enjoyed them. I'm going to watch the final and hope England win, but normally football doesn't interest me. I'm kinda the same for most sports to be honest and will only watch big events. Saying that though I do enjoy watching and following the olympics and seeing how many gold medals we can get.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm 62 we won the world cup when I was 7 years old and haven't in all those years reached another final, this is monumental, I reckon peak viewing figure will be 32 million, it was 27.6m for the semi final.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness