If my partner moved in with me, what would I lose? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If my partner moved in with me, what would I lose?

Options
PolkaBirdie
PolkaBirdie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi,
ive been looking for the answers but because my situation is a little complex I can’t find the answers I’m looking for. Currently, I live alone. I have a two bedroom property and the second bedroom is allowed on a carer basis of having people stay with me several nights a week. I receive enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility PIP, and I am also in the income based ESA support group. I receive housing benefit, inclusive of the second bedroom. I would still need this second bedroom if he moved in, as when he stays with me while I don’t need anyone else to stay additionally, he has to sleep in the spare room more often than not because of my health. I could easily get a letter to state this from a doctor. 

If my partner was to move in with me, how much should I expect to lose? I am currently on the old style benefits so I know at minimum I will lose things like the severe disability premium just for switching to UC, due to the change of circumstance. 

My partner works four days a week, currently at around £16,000 PA.  He is also a part time student with the OU. He doesn’t have more than 4K in savings.  He has the potential to work 3 days a week instead of four, if that would change anything. 

Could anyone advise me? I want to live with him but I can’t afford to lose all my money. I know PIP won’t change but it feels like everything else will get taken away and I’m worried. I want to live my life but I can’t afford nor do I want to be dependent on him.

Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Having a partner move in does not require you to change to UC. You simply report the change of circumstances to ESA and Housing Benefit and they will be revised. You will lose the SDP (unless they also get a disability benefit).

Any savings and income your partner has will be taken into account.

If any of your ESA is contribution based that will not be affected, it is only the income based part that is affected. Very important therefore to check the make up of your existing ESA award.

You could put the details into a benefits calculator.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • PolkaBirdie
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. My mum has worked with supported housing before so she said the change of circumstances will trigger me moving to Universal Credit - it will be interesting to see if that’s not the case (much preferred!). He doesn’t have any benefit claims himself, he does struggle with his MH but he is able to work. 

I tried the calculators but it says it doesn’t account for students and I wasn’t sure about the potential of working less affecting it. I think I might phone a helpline and ask :) 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    The only thing that causes a move to UC is making a claim for it. Some changes of circumstances for existing benefits result in the end of the existing benefit which means that a claimant has no option but to apply for UC if they want to continue to receive benefit. Having a partner move in will not cause the end of your ESA or HB so there would be no need for you to claim UC.

Try the calculator ignoring his student status to get a sense of the numbers based on his earnings. Being a part time OU student shouldn't make any difference.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • PolkaBirdie
    Options
    I wanted to make an update in case someone sees this and is in a similar situation. I spoke to a disability advice person today, and unfortunately it confirmed the worst. 

If he moves in with me, it will trigger going onto Universal Credit. As someone who earns just under £16k a year, it will also remove almost all of my money. All we would be entitled to would be my PIP. I would have nothing else. His wages wouldn’t cover the rent and bills and it would leave me with no money anyway. 

The only way to ensure that didn’t happen, would be for him to give up work and become my carer, and we do a joint universal credit claim. Then we would get housing paid for, and still a similar amount to what I have now, but it would be for the two of us which still essentially loses money for both of us, and it means he has to give up work. 

So, unfortunately we cannot live together yet, because it’s just too much of a financial hit. We will likely have to live apart until he’s finished his degree, which is very unfortunate. 

Such a difficult system, I knew I’d take a hit but not that much. 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    PolkaBirdie said:..If he moves in with me, it will trigger going onto Universal Credit. ..
    That is not correct.
    PolkaBirdie said:..As someone who earns just under £16k a year, it will also remove almost all of my money. All we would be entitled to would be my PIP. .
    It is quite likely that is the case if he is added to your ESA claim - unless some of your ESA is contribution based.

Unfortunately, although I believe the advice you have received is incorrect the conclusion may be much the same.
  • skhan95
    skhan95 Community member Posts: 123 Connected
    Options
    Hi PALKABIRDAL I was in same situation like you couple of month ago and lost everyyyyyything Uc is not giving me anything from 3 months now... its gonna be a big mess moving someone with you and it will not be for a week or 2 its justtt too much stress 
    Uc dnt care if someone moved with you for your care they take everything from your partner's earnings I can't explain you I'm really sorry I become so anxious while writing anything.... now I'm fully dependent on my partner which is I'm not happy with I went 100 times to Jobcentre to get help to tell them please help me at least some but Noooo 
    Please get proper advice before taking any step 
    Good luck :-)
  • Blu3wolf_07
    Blu3wolf_07 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation other than my boyfriend is claiming Universal Credit (with inability to work component) and PIP while I claim ESA and PIP. We would like to live together but not sure if I would be added to his UC claim and not him be put on to my ESA claim instead as I've read elsewhere he could be added to my ESA and at what cost would we have to not only indure the lose of money but the length of time it takes to claim and receive the first payment just for the sake of wanting to living together (we are both over 35)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation other than my boyfriend is claiming Universal Credit (with inability to work component) and PIP while I claim ESA and PIP. We would like to live together but not sure if I would be added to his UC claim and not him be put on to my ESA claim instead as I've read elsewhere he could be added to my ESA and at what cost would we have to not only indure the lose of money but the length of time it takes to claim and receive the first payment just for the sake of wanting to living together (we are both over 35)

As your partner is already claiming UC then if you live together your partner will need to report a change of circumstances and tell then they are now living with you. They will then be sent a linking code, which you will need to use when you claim UC.

Any contributions based ESA you're claiming will continue (£117.60 week) You will only be entitled to one LCWRA element because there's only one per claim. As you're claiming PIP if this includes the daily living part then your part can claim carers element for looking after you, if they look after you for at least 35 hours per week. This will mean your UC will include one LCWRA element and one carers element.

You will then keep the same assessment periods as he has now. If your ESA include the SDP then you would lose this because it's not payable when claiming UC.

You would likely be worse off but you will then only have one set of bills rather than 2.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.