Fridge Freezer Temps - Auto Defrost — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fridge Freezer Temps - Auto Defrost

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
Probably not the best forum for this question...but I'm not on any 'large appliance' forums!  :D

Do any of you keep note of your fridge & freezer temps, or know what's 'normal' in terms of the auto-defrost?

I recently bought an auto-defrost model, hoping it would stop the stress and hassle of defrosting every few months (meaning lots of bending/leaning, then I'd have to shop the next day, regardless of how unwell I felt).  But it's going into auto defrost mode every other day, and raising the temperature in both compartments higher than the norm for an hour or so.  Tbh it's causing much more stress than the old model and I'm struggling to trust any food now (I do also have severe OCD & digestive issues, for anyone that doesn't know, so have to be very careful with food storage!)

I just want to know how high the temp gets in other auto-defrost models to compare...and may have to go back to a manual defrost model if they're all the same.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish we had an auto defrost setting on ours :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Bumping this up...

It stays 'warm' for much longer than it does after a shopping trip, over an hour last night...and it's doing it every other day.  

I'm still within the returns period so could really do with someone else's to compare with.  
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry we don't have an auto defrosting one and don't keep a record of the temperatures so can't be of any help.

I wouldn't normally recommend it but have you tried the Pistonheads forum? I don't know if you have an account but I know you are into cars. There are loads of sections on there for different topics and there's almost always someone who can answer your question if you can put up with all the sarcasm lol.
  • OverlyAnxious
    I am on a few other forums but never could get on with Pistonheads lol.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Our freezer seems to run at -16c. and doesn't get frozen up, i thinks its frost free.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    I don't monitor the temperature but my freezer does get warm for periods. I agree it's very unnerving and I would rather have a steady temperature and have to defrost it from time to time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • OverlyAnxious
    woodbine said:
    Our freezer seems to run at -16c. and doesn't get frozen up, i thinks its frost free.
    Should be at -18 or cooler ideally.  Probably is auto defrost if it doesn't get frozen up, my old one was freezing the shelf racks solid every few months!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Should be at -18 or cooler ideally.  Probably is auto defrost if it doesn't get frozen up, my old one was freezing the shelf racks solid every few months!
    A frost free freezer will have periods when the temperature rises because the cooling elements are heated up to melt ice and allow it to drain away as water.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • OverlyAnxious
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    A frost free freezer will have periods when the temperature rises because the cooling elements are heated up to melt ice and allow it to drain away as water.
    It might also be a 'low frost' model though...which is what I think I wanted in hindsight. 

https://www.ertonline.co.uk/products/hoover-introduces-new-low-frost-technology-fridge-freezers/

I'm sure my Mum had one like these though (no shelf grills but a water drain at the bottom) so I'm not sure what's new about it.

https://markselectrical.co.uk/HMCL5172WKN_Hoover-Low-Frost-Fridge-Freezer.html?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,737 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't even know how to use mine, apart from throw food in it  :) my fridge gets lots 9f water at bottom that I have to clean up, so I don't know if that's anything todo with freezer, and both on right temps.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Sandy_123 said:
    I don't even know how to use mine, apart from throw food in it  :) my fridge gets lots 9f water at bottom that I have to clean up, so I don't know if that's anything todo with freezer, and both on right temps.
    Older fridges have a drain hole at the bottom at the back so maybe that's blocked if you've got water building up in the bottom.  Also make sure the food doesn't touch the back as that'll stop the water running down properly and let it run onto the shelves instead (not sure how hard you're throwing the food in there lol!)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,737 Disability Gamechanger
    Lol @OverlyAnxious ? I don't use a catapult. Hmm my food does touch the back :o 

Brightness