Pip appeal won but no future payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal won but no future payments

amandamandy
amandamandy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I waited 16 months for my pip appeal to be heard. This was done over the telephone. I won my appeal but they have only calculated for 12 months. I haven’t received any notice of future payments 

I rang the Pip helpline and they said I should have put in a new claim. I honestly don’t understand what is going on!! And desperate for advice 

thanks in advance 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You haven't provided enough information for us to comment. 
    When did you claim PIP?
    When was the tribunal and what dates did the tribunal award PIP for?
    A tribunal award has an end date and the award stops on that date unless a new claim has been made and decided.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • amandamandy
    Pip assessment was in Nov 2019. Tribunal was April 2021. They awarded me from August 19-August 2020. All due to corona pandemic 

They specifically asked for my medical records to the present date. 

• amandamandy
    Please also tell me where I would have been made aware of an end date on an award if successfully?

thanks for your replies 
  • calcotti
    The end date will on the tribunal decision. Why the tribunal decided to only make a 1 year award I have no idea. You have been put in an unfortunate situation of being given an award that ended before the decision was made which obviously means you could not have applied again before the end date.
    You will now have to make a new claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • amandamandy
    I’m assuming the law states they can only give an award no longer than 12 months. I can’t think of any other reason. 

Absolutely crazy. If I’d known this I would have applied again for pip whilst waiting for the tribunal hearing 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    I’m assuming the law states they can only give an award no longer than 12 months. I can’t think of any other reason. 
    It doesn’t. Tribunals can set an award length they consider appropriate.
  • amandamandy
    Thanks again for replies. 

I’m still confused. I thought the job of a tribunal was to decide if the original decision made in your initial health assessment has been given the correct number of points. They are not assessors!  Can you please elaborate! 
  • amandamandy
    Thank you for your reply. 

I have never claimed pip. After my assessment I was declined pip. I appealed. I waited longer than usual for a tribunal date due to COVID pandemic. The appeal was heard over the phone. 

They wanted my medical records up to the current day. Nothing had changed in my medical condition. Confused about tribunal picking dates for back dates payments and no future payments either. 

Is my only choice to appeal to the upper tribunal on the grounds the dates were picked out the air. 

I’ve never heard this happening to anyone else who has appealed. It all seems very strange! 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    amandamandy said: I thought the job of a tribunal was to decide if the original decision made in your initial health assessment has been given the correct number of points. 
    The role of thetribunal is to make an award decision in place of the DWP. This may confirm the original DWP decision or be a different decision, either way, once made, that is the decision (subject to any appeal to Upper Tribunal).

Like DWP they make the decision based on the available evidence. Unlike DWP they take a more inquisitive approach when examining the evidence.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.