Disability premi — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability premi

ambo37
ambo37 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Does anyone know if I claim carers allowance for my disabled child can I also get severe disability premium on income support for myself as I have been awarded pip at standard daily living and enhanced mobility 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    I assume you mean claim Carer’s Allowance for yourself for looking after your disabled child. Yes you can if you are receiving a benefit that can include the SDP and you meet the qualifying conditions. Are you already getting IS?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ambo37
    Yes I already claim income support and carers allowance it was about the sdp because I have received a notification that they owe me money but it is only for disability premium and not the sdp 
  • calcotti
    You will need to contact DWP to get SDP added. They will need to confirm that there are no other adult family members you live with (unless they also get a disability benefit) and that nobody gets Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ambo37
    Oh ok thanks for your advice I didn't know whether I could claim it is will ring them tomorrow 
  • calcotti
  • ambo37
    I've looked everywhere and it doesn't say if you claim carers for a child you can claim sdp my eyes are sore looking haha
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    ambo37 said:
    I've looked everywhere and it doesn't say if you claim carers for a child you can claim sdp my eyes are sore looking haha
    The fact you claim Carer’s Allowance is irrelevant to the SDP. The reason you now get the Disability Premium and are eligible for SDP (if your u meet the qualifying conditions) is because of the PIP award. 

From the link I posted
    In brief, a Severe Disability Premium is awarded at the lower rate to single claimants where: .. the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment ..is received, and no one is entitled to Carer's Allowance (CA) for looking after you......

• ambo37
    Thanks for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.