Assessment Period? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment Period?

Justcheckingin15
Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
Hi..My Partner has just applied and been awarded New Style ESA, I rang them over a query...and the guy on the phone was able to tell me there and then..that he will be put in the 'Support Group'.Was wondering why he would have to wait the 3 months 'assessment period'..before receiving the 'Support Group' payments...when..he has already told me they already have assessed him and putting him into Support Group...?Thank you

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

The rules are that payment isn't made for the first 3 assessment periods 

This is just how it is 
  • Justcheckingin15
    Thank you @janer1967, Could you advise..Is it £114.10..(Support Group)
    Iv heard of an extra £39.40'Support Component'?..
    Or..£24.60..if live with a Partner?..
    Thank you
  • janer1967
    I'm sorry I don't know the amount but I have read £39.40 online 

But it doesn't really seem very clear 

Other members will know the exact amount 
  • Justcheckingin15
    Thank you @janer1967..Yes. I was not entirely sure when I read the info either...
  • janer1967
    It is very unusual to get awarded without having a  assessment 

Did he complete a wca form uc50 at all 
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Any support components/premiums for ESA are only payable if the claimant meets the "income related" criteria.  Someone like me who does not meet the income related criteria, does not receive any additional components/premiums/support no matter what our living circumstances are.

PS  Not complaining about this on a personal level, simply sharing info so that others do not have their hopes raised (like mine were initially!) regarding additional support.  :)  
  • Justcheckingin15
    Hi @janer1967..He filled in an ESA50 form...
  • Justcheckingin15
    Hi @Girl_No1..He is just started on ESA Contribution based..(New Style)
  • Girl_No1
    @Justcheckingin15 me too!  I'm in the fortunate position to not have to claim Universal Credit, I have a small works pension/savings that takes me over the threshold for claiming UC, so the components/premiums do not apply to me (or anyone else in that position). 

If your husband claims other benefits, he may well be eligible for those components/premiums but they are only awarded if the claimant meets the criteria.

As I said, I'd just like to help posters understand these components/premiums are not automatically available on nsESA(CB) for a variety of reasons.
  • Justcheckingin15
    Cheers @Girl_No1, He has never applied for Benefits of any kind until now(Is not on any Benefits)..thank you for the info.
  • Girl_No1
    @Justcheckingin15 - have you used an online calculator?  It may be your husband is entitled to other benefits that will attract the components/premiums you've mentioned.

When I first entered the world of benefits, I found this calculator useful to establish eligibility:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

I got very excited when I saw people discussing disability premiums etc. as I thought I met the criteria i.e. live on my own, no-one claims carers allowance/component for me etc.  However, as I (fortunately) do not qualify for UC, these components/premiums are not available to me.  

Good luck to you and your husband.  :) 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @janer1967, Could you advise..Is it £114.10..(Support Group)
    Iv heard of an extra £39.40'Support Component'?..
    Or..£24.60..if live with a Partner?..
    Thank you
    Support Group is £114.10/week which includes the Support group component of £39.40. For the first thirteen weeks the amount payable is the Assessment rate of £74.70 (assuming you are agree 25 or over).
    Living with a partner or not is irrelevant for new style ESA as it is contribution based benefit only and is an individual benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Justcheckingin15 - just to confirm, as you thought, that your partner will get £114.10 per week in the Support group, which is £39.40 per week more than in the assessment period (or if placed in the work related activity group).
    The £24.60 you mention I can only think would be the Enhanced disability premium paid for a couple. However, this will not apply as he's not getting income related ESA, rather contribution based (New Style)ESA, as you mention. This is the same as that advised by @Girl_No1 - the disability premiums are not available with New Style ESA.
  • Justcheckingin15
    Thanks for this @Girl_No1@calcotti@chiarieds..This is only benefit he has received..just in past few weeks..Very much Novices at this....awaiting confirmation of a date for First Tier Tribunal for PIP.?
  • Girl_No1
    @Justcheckingin15 - I understand completely, I'm fairly new to this too, since last year.  It's a complete minefield.  That's why it's useful to use a benefits checker and then seek advice on here.  

Good luck with the FTT.  :) 

PS  With the calculators you can try numerous scenarios regarding your situation e.g. whether you (the partner) work or not etc.  
  • Justcheckingin15
    Thank you @Girl_No1, I work-He does not.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.