Confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused

Options
karen1812
karen1812 Community member Posts: 60 Connected
Hi all I am so confused over the benifits system 
Here we go lol  brian has been awarded ESA had a back payment of 3 weeks then yesterday had 2 weeks money then today I looked at my uc journal and I have no money this month I think because I got my last wages 30th June. So am I right in thinking that ESA cancels out brians UC ?. we are in the process of filling out a uc50 form just waiting on a report from brians physio and his O.T. Hopefully his pip will be sorted out as I rang them yesterday and the health assessment report was sent to DWP yesterday day. I said on the uc that I was caring for brian so I think janer1987 said that I might get carers element is that after brian gets put into one of those groups? as if I don't look for 2ork I could get sactioned. Could you please help a thick person out and explain how this benifit system works.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Any ESA in payment is deducted in full from the UC amount.
    The carer element is only payable once/of  Daily Living PIP is awarded. LCWRA is not relevant. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Karen 

You can claim carers element if Brian gets the daily living component of pip so until you have a decision you will be unable to claim.  If you have reported you care for him it could be backdated to when he is awarded pip 

Your uc will have taken into account your wages as it is means tested 

If you look at your statement on your journal the detailed one it breaks down all the payments and deduction 

Yes also any esa paid will be deducted from uc 

Claiming carers will also mean you will not be required to look for work
  • karen1812
    Options
    Thank you for your replies so if brian gets pip his award will be backed from 10th March does that mean carers allowance will be back dated from that date aswell.
  • janer1967
    Options
    It should be yes 

Once you get a decision on pip you need to put a note in your journal that pip has been awarded and from what date or do change in circumstances to report caring for him again 

Pip decision are taking around 8 to 10 weeks after assessment at the current time 
  • karen1812
    Options
    Again thank you and sorry janer1967 I put you at 1987 well at least it made you 20 years younger lol
  • janer1967
    Options
    I never noticed but thanks I will take 20 years younger 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.